Please sign in to post.

South of France

Any advice on going to the South of France in February?

Posted by
7033 posts

That's an awfully vague question about an area that covers over 200,000 sq/km. Are you asking whether or not you should go in February? Are you asking where to go in February?

How much time do you have? How are you traveling? What types of things are of interest to you? Do you have any particular part of the 'South of France' or any particular cities that you are interested in?

We need a lot more information before we can answer your question effectively.

Posted by
8293 posts

Do you mean advice about being there in .February? Or just general advice about the south of France? Where in the south by the way?

Posted by
12172 posts

It can snow in the south in the winter, so don't assume it will be warm or sunny. In February, my choices would be to go really south, like southern Italy, to try to get as much sun as possible, or embrace the cold and short daylight hours and take a ski vacation.

A lot of places along the ocean, even in the north, don't get as cold as further inland because the water regulates the temperature somewhat. That's relative though, so not as cold can still be pretty cold, wet and windy.

Another thought is to go somewhere in the southern hemisphere, South Africa, Tanzania, Argentina, Chile. It's summer for them.

Posted by
8293 posts

I know several Montreal families who for years have spent their winters in the south of France.

Posted by
678 posts

The weather in February on the Southern coast is not terrible in February, but it gets colder the further interior you get (in particular at night). There is a big exception --- worth noting are the mistral winds, which can kick up and be quite cold. They are mostly prevalent in the Western half, west of St. Tropez or Toulon. The Cote d'Azur does not suffer in the same way; it's also Carnival time in February (so be aware in planning).

Posted by
15584 posts

I was thinking about just that a year ago and I found that most of the western part of the south has bitterly cold mistral winds that make it unpleasant. Stick to the east . . . Nice . . . and it should be pretty nice. Menton has a lemon festival in February, if I remember correctly from my research.

P.S. I ended up going to Italy. It was GREAT.

Posted by
8293 posts

“Southern France”, eh? Where’d you learn that, FastEddie?

Posted by
5262 posts

It's called Southern France, ya'll, not South of France.

Nope, it's referred to as the South of France, it may be Southern France but that's not what it is referred to. Just like the West Country is not referred to as Western England and Southern England is widely referred to as the South of England.

Posted by
1443 posts

Nope, it's referred to as the South of France, it may be Southern
France but that's not what it is referred to.

I'll remember that when I visit the South of Florida in the spring. Language can be so funny.

Posted by
782 posts

I have traveled to the South of France and that is what it is known as, what does Florida have to do with it.
Mike