Please sign in to post.

South France - Looking for a village

We want to spend a week in the South of France before boarding a ship in Rome. Any ideas for a village to stay with British friends and about the drive to Rome? September, four seniors, would prefer $200-$250/night in a historic town area, restaurant options close and safe to walk to. Parking would be helpful if a smaller village to drive to other villages or coast. Another option larger historic town with multiple things to see and just stay there. Flatter area for easy walking. We were thinking of driving from where we are to Rome's port- does that make sense and can we do it in a couple of days? Experienced driving in Europe.

Posted by
1443 posts

There are too many options for anyone to give you a meaningful reply. Can you provide more details such as your interests, number of people, age range, budget, preferred mode of travel, etc.?

Posted by
678 posts

That is quite a drive. Are you going straight to Civitavecchia or will you break up the journey? Are you looking for a village in the countryside or along the coast, and in what month? (Some smaller villages button up in the offseason and others are overrun in peak). That's a broad range of territory you've specified. Can I presume you meant the Cote d'Azur?

Posted by
9572 posts

Yes, do you mean Provence or the Côte d’Azur?

Anyway, that is a long drive down to Rome. I would probably fly from Nice or Marseille to Rome.

Posted by
15584 posts

I'm currently doing research for an upcoming visit to the Cote d'Azur. There is very good train and bus service to the cities and many of the villages along the coast. Both Nice and Antibes have come up as very good bases. I'm going in March which is low season but if your visit is later in the year, it's likely not to be a good idea to drive and struggle with traffic and finding parking. Remember you need to park the car everywhere you go, not just overnight.

If you want to rent a car in France and return it in Italy, check what the drop-off charges are. It could well be hundreds of euros. If you want to spend time on the Italian riviera, consider staying on the Cote d'Azur for a few nights, then train across the Italian border and rent a car there. Or you could fly to Rome from Nice.