Please sign in to post.

South France

A dream of mine,(actually, an item on my bucket list) is to walk in a field of lavender. Even just seeing a field would be wonderful. Has anyone done this or taken a tour in the Provence area? Where would be a good place in that area to spend a couple of nights? We are not expensive hotel people- enjoy a bed and breakfast very much, and we probably wouldn't have a car.
Thanks for any advice!!

Posted by
703 posts

this topic has been covered before, suggest you use the search function at the top of the screen. the most important thing is to go at the right time of year. also don't be fooled by a similar coloured plant that also grows in the provence area. we found it flowered earlier than the lavendar.
there are plenty of accomodation options in provence. without a car I am not sure of the best place to also see the lavendar ( perhaps their is a tour you do once there?) but investigate the small towns like St Remy etc. beautiful part of the world, with plenty of attractions near by.

hope this helps.

Posted by
360 posts

I think it would honestly be hard to "see a field" without a car, as we often saw the fields outside of the main areas where a train would run. And we mostly heard about poppies when we were there, but they weren't quite in full bloom during our stay. We stayed in L'Isle sur la Sorgue, which we found to be a nice alternative to the larger Arles and Avignon (you can take the train to Avignon and then connect from there). But you would have more flexibility with a car to get to the smaller towns -- we honestly found those much more charming than Arles and Avignon.

Posted by
7034 posts

You don't necessarily need a car to see the lavender fields. You would need to take a train to a larger town that offers day tours of the lavender fields, Avignon, Aix en Provence, Arles, Nice, etc. for example (google to see what's offered). The main thing is that you need to be there when it's blooming and before they harvest. It depends a lot on the weather in a particular year, but you can be pretty certain you'll see them in full bloom between mid-June and mid-July, often earlier or later in certain areas. The more toward mid-July, the more likely you will be to also see the sunflower fields so often captured by Van Gogh and others, especially around Arles and Aix, but also throughout Provence. This website details the lavender routes of Provence and may give you an idea where to base yourself for day trips: http://www.moveyouralps.com/en/routes-de-la-lavande

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for your replies! It seems like renting a car would be a good way to see the beautiful area. I will keep on researching about where to stay, and find a tour. Thank you!