Please sign in to post.

South France

We have 4 days to spend in France flying from Rome and have to catch flight in Milan after 4 days. I wanted to experience your quintessential provence town. In end of May.

Posted by
2261 posts

Rick's Provence guidebook would probably be very useful for you. Will you rent a car? People typically either head to a city such as Avignon, or Nimes, etc and do day trips from there, or plant themselves in small town Provence-which way are you imagining it? A car is the best way to really see Provence, especially the small towns.

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/provence-guidebook

Posted by
7175 posts

Day#1 is lost to travel, with a flight to Marseille and then onward journey by train to Arles/Avignon.
If you need to be in Milan by the end of Day#4, then that full day is also lost to travel.
With only 2 days then available at your destination, I would question if it's a good use of limited time.
Have you considered other parts of Italy ?

Posted by
16893 posts

When I flew from Rome to Marseille/Provence airport, I stayed in Aix-en-Provence first (just in time for the Saturday market), then picked up a car upon departure. If you want to skip Aix, you can pick up a car at the airport to drive the Luberon area. I was going to say keep on driving via a scenic route to Milan, but dropping a rental car in a different country would add a hefty fee.

The further west you go, the longer it takes to get back to Milan by train. For instance, Avignon-Milan by train takes 8 - 9 hours and the best schedule has one connection in Nice. Catching the same train in Nice is just under 5 hours (direct trains departing at 8:00, 14:00 and 18:00). If you can leave the car at the mountain border town of Modane (looks like they have Avis), then there are 3 TGV trains from there that take 3 hours to Milan.

Posted by
1825 posts

You would be much better off with some quintessential Tuscan towns. It may look close on a map but Italy and France have no easy ground routes between them.

Posted by
1878 posts

I don't think going to Provence makes sense on this itinerary. Maybe spend a couple of nights each in Tuscan/Umbrian towns like Orvieto and Sienna. I visited both of those a few months ago and they are very worthy stops. As Rick says, assume you will return.

Posted by
171 posts

Tuscany is the new Provence - some say. You might consider two nights in Tuscany and two on Lake Como? They would fit reasonably into your Rome/Milan plan, If this appeals, we can make some suggestions.

Provence and the Cote d'Azur are a great trip but that's a lot of driving for four days.

Posted by
5210 posts

Sue,

I'll join the chorus and also suggest you stay in Italy instead of spending so much time in transit to only spend a couple of days in France.

Since your flight home will be departing from Milan, I'd suggest visiting one of the lakeside towns along Lake Como or Lake Maggiore.

My mom and I enjoyed spending our last few nights in Varenna before returning home.

Lake Como is a great place to relax and just enjoy the beautiful scenery ;-)

I've not been to Lake Maggiore yet but I plan to get there on my next trip to Italy!

Posted by
7833 posts

Do what you want if you know that you will never have this opportunity again.
Search flights from Rome to Marseille direct ( these only take and hour and a half direct) and then take the train to Aix en Provence or rent a car. And let us in the forum know what you decided before you go. please