Please sign in to post.

Soap

Last time we were in Provence, my wife loaded up on soap. We found a big price difference between Arles or Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Nice, where it was much more expensive. This time, we will be visiting Marseille, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, Orange, St. Remy and Aix. I am thinking the soap may be cheaper in Marseille. Can anyone confirm this or let me know which stop may be best? Thanks.

Posted by
3391 posts

When in southern France I always buy soap from local vendors at a farmer's market. The prices are usually better than they would be from a shop. Google the day of the week that markets are held for the towns you'll be visiting and stop by.

Posted by
751 posts

I love buying soap in France! I agree that the Farmer's Markets sell wonderful soap. Also, I like La Maison du Savon de Marseille soaps and lotions.

Posted by
2466 posts

It depends on the soap.

If you want the authentic green blocks made with only 72% olive oil, 28% soda and salt, and no added perfume, they will be expensive and nearly impossible to find in the cities you mentioned.

Even small producers have had to change recipes, due to the rising cost of olive oil - palm, colza and other vegetable fats are much cheaper and lather up much better - but this should be clearly stated on the label and reflected in the price. I would never buy a block of soap for personal use that didn't have the ingredients clearly marked.

On French TV, there is a yearly report about the problems of "arnaques" (scams) concerning different "regional" or "traditional" products. "Veritable savon de Marseille" is most often made in China, and sold in outdoor markets and stores of all sizes. There's nothing wrong with buying it, but you should be aware of what you're getting, and avoid paying too much for it. If it smells nice, it won't be the real thing, but if you like it, you might as well please yourself.

If you want the closest thing to the real soap that used to be made in Marseille by traditional recipes and methods, you should Google these sites - "savonnerie du midi", "Marius Fabre", "savonnerie le fer a cheval". There are online shopping options as well as stores in Marseille and in Provence. At least these producers are honest about what they do, and offer a fine product.

Posted by
1443 posts

I admit I clicked on this topic out of curiosity. To me soap is a chunk of stuff in package marked Dial Anti-Bacterial Soap. I had no idea there were such varieties available or that people would seek them out while on vacation.

No, I am not married.

Posted by
53 posts

I 'm with you , Fast Eddie,, no idea, , i get the Orange Goo at Home Depot, that does the trick for me

Posted by
755 posts

Fasteddie and fewolf - you guys don't know what you're missing! I only use French soap at least that is what I thought I was using. Like everything else it comes from China? I bought lavender soap in Arles last time I was there and will be returning soon and so far soap is the only thing on my shopping list. Or maybe not.

Posted by
1337 posts

I, myself, am a fan of the brand Le Petit Marseillais. It's a brand, yes, but the scents are fantastic and the body was is at most 6EUR. The packaging is quaint and most people I give it to are enchanted by it. I use it myself.

Posted by
2466 posts

ClausPorto has a lovely range of soaps - made in Portugal, with shea butter instead of olive oil. The lavender is especially wonderful, and so is the packaging.