Please sign in to post.

Single, over 50, travel to France

I'm interested in travelling Europe for a month or so. I would like to make France my "launching" place. Other than that I'm totally open. I think traveling with a group would be a good way to dip my foot in. Anyone have suggestions or know of a good tour or package for a mature single woman? I walk five to eight miles easily and living in Seattle I can do hills and climbs!

Posted by
2261 posts

bmolloy, take a trip over to Edmonds and check out a tour! Failing that I'd suggest getting a good guide book to start off with to get a lay of the land.

The RS book Europe Through the Back Door will be good if you've never been there. For many regions there is a specific book too, such as the RS France book. You can find these at book stores in Seattle too.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog&parent_id=10

Cheers!

Posted by
1203 posts

If you want to start with France, why don't you take one of the France tours Rick Steve offers and start or end it with some days in Paris. Or you could take one of the France tours and if the timing of the tours are good, take the week long Paris tour before or after the one of the France bus tours. Or take the 11 day France tour which starts and ends in Paris and spend some time in Paris after the tour. This way you will learn how to travel around Paris, not be totally alone in the month abroad and get the experience of traveling in Europe on your own. Take a look at the Rick Steve online scrapbooks and you will see where and what you will see on the tours. Of course going to the RS tour company office is a great idea. Wish I could, but I don't live in Wa state. I have taken 12 RS tours along with going to Europe on my own. But the one thing I found is the RS tours give you the learning skills and guidance to travel around Europe on you own. I have taken the week long Paris tours twice and the 15 Day France tour ( now 13 days, they cut out Paris) and am going on the 11 day France tour and for the first time spending five nights in Paris after the tour with a friend. Or you could take one of the France tours and an Italy tour and get to know both Italy and France and still have time to spend on your own in Paris. You have lots of options and I think one of RS tours is a great way to start and build on your trip. Have a great time.

Posted by
11613 posts

I have never taken an RS or any other group tour, but of all the tour groups I've encountered, the RS groups seem to be the happiest. I travel solo about 90% of the time, so I can set my own pace and priorities.

If you can, the 11-day France back-to-back with the Paris tour sounds great. It's very easy to get to Amsterdam and Belgium from Paris, if you feel like doing some traveling on your own after the tour(s). Single women traveling in Europe is not big news anymore, it's easy - and Belgium/Netherlands are very easy countries for tourists.

Posted by
2130 posts

Hi B, I love France and I've taken all of the Rick Steves tours of France (signed up for Eastern France this year). All of the tours were wonderful - great guides, interesting sites, lots of fun. I'd recommend Paris in 7 Days (a indepth view of sites & museums) or Paris and the Heart of France (nice variety). Check out the itineraries and pick the one that most interests you. The people on the tours are right in your age group, and it's no problem being a single traveler. The groups are very inclusive.

I usually do a week in Paris before the tours, but a couple of weeks (!) would be even better. For this trip, you may want to take time on your own after the tour, once you are more comfortable with your travel skills. There are many options for day trips outside of Paris (Chartres, Amboise, Giverny, lots of wonderful places to explore). Hope you have a great time!

Posted by
15582 posts

Yep, sounds like an RS tour is perfect for you. If you have traveled independently in the U.S., then after the tour, you'll probably have the confidence and skills needed to manage on your own for the rest of your time in cities and towns across Europe. All of us here have found that traveling in Europe is easy, if you've done your planning well (and this is the forum for doing that). Public transportation is generally excellent, most tourist sites have English explanations, audio guides, and other information, and you can get by without a second language.

Posted by
1540 posts

I am over 60 and travel alone frequently - but also do tours to save time and money.
My favorite currently is Gate 1 - i really like their prices and what they offer. The hotels are excellent and the addtional tours they offer are many time optional.
I have also traveled on my own and booked all my own flights and lodging - never rented a car on my own in a foreign country.
I use public transportation and often sign up for free walking tours in the town or city I'm in or recently booked a couple tours in the north of France to see the Normandy D-Day beaches and also Mount St. Michel.
I know you are going to have a great time and if you go on your own or with a tour company for part of your trip - you will have a wonderful time.

Posted by
13937 posts

Ditto with the recommendations for Rick's tours. I've done 5, 3 with family along, 2 solo. I did Best of Europe plus the Best of Paris last fall and it was fabulous. If you have the time and interest (and money is not a consideration), consider the Best of Europe and then follow it up with one of the France tours. I loved my combo and I felt SO comfortable in Paris and France afterward!

Rick's tours are strenuous at times but with your current fitness level it would be no problem for you.

The groups I've been with have been so much fun and easy to travel as a solo. As someone mentioned upthread, they are very inclusive. I loved the camaraderie that developed on the 21 day tour among the tour members and the guide. Very special. I feel like people who choose Rick's tours self select for interesting and interested people with lifelong learning goals.

I have also done Road Scholar tours, 2 international and 2 US. The 2 international trips the group members were not as fit as on the Rick tours and they do not have Rick's NO Grumps policy, so I give Rick the edge for International travel. However, I am mighty interested in the Road Scholar tour itinerary of Brittany and Normandy which Rick does not cover.

Have you ordered the tour booklet with the DVD? You can watch the DVD on youtube, but I like it on the TV (and yes, even though I have been on this tour I rewatch the DVD!!) with the bigger screen.

Have fun making your choices!

Posted by
3696 posts

Obviously check out the RS tours... lots of happy campers here. I typically travel on my own but I have recently taken a few last minute tours (great prices) that were offered by GoAhead tours and was pleasantly surprised. Not having anything to compare it to, I had no complaints and the prices were really reasonable and plenty of free time. Whatever you do, have a great time and don't be afraid to travel alone... lots of women here do it.

Posted by
3580 posts

I've been on 8 RS tours in my 60s and 70s. The age range on those tours was 21 to about 80. On the spring and fall tours, I would guess that most travelers were 45-70. Singles and various pairs (couples, friends, siblings, etc) make a nice mix of travel companions. You can opt to pay the single supplement for a private room or let the tour guide assign a roommate. You sound like the sort of person RSTours are designed for. Another way to join tours is to look for day trips wherever you are staying. Walking tours can be fun and informative and a good way to meet people. Tours run by Road Scholars look good.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have seen a few comments saying the RS tours were a bit more strenuous then they anticipated.. but Bens is the first time I have seen anyone claim it was slow and frustrating.. must have just been an old group.
I have only taken one RS tour.. but it was a lot of fun,, and active .. for those who wanted more activities and walks.. the guides always had suggestions for free time. We enjoyed a 4 hour hike in the Alps on our own..

There is a group a friend of mine travels with.. she is 53 and its some sort of womens travel club/tour.. small groups ( 10-15) it looks like.. and they all seem to be 35-65 years old.. with a few exceptions of course.. I will see if I can find the name for you.