Please sign in to post.

SIM cards

I see I can buy an ORANGE or MOBAL here in the states then will have the new number to give everyone. Will be in France, Belgium and Netherlands for two weeks. Anyone have any info on Mobal? see it's $15 for the SIM then you pay as you go and keep the SIM for future travel...

Posted by
11294 posts

Mobal has very high rates. If you're using it more than a little bit, the costs add up fast.

Posted by
5697 posts

We used Mobal (Eurobuzz) on earlier trips -- bought 2 phones so we could keep in touch if separated. Expensive per minute, but we did not use many minutes.

Switched last trip to a Vodafone SIM card from Netherlands, bought on eBay and had the number available before we left home. Put money on it online and bought a "bundel" of calling minutes, text and data for about €20 for a month -- as long as I use it every 6 months the number remains active.

Are you planning to receive calls from the U.S.? Use it for calls within Europe? With a smartphone in airplane mode you can email home and get emails on hotel Wi-Fi -- and nobody has to worry about waking the other party because of the time difference.

Posted by
99 posts

Just need Data the most I guess, for the Mapquest. Will be driving the whole time and need the maps.

Posted by
1803 posts

I have not done this but services such as google maps allow you to download maps to use offline. Once downloaded you don’t need data from WiFi or cellular connection to navigate. Download the maps you need when on WiFi, either at home or the hotel.

Posted by
5687 posts

I agree, Rocket, Google Maps "offline" works quite well for driving (not walking or public transit, though) and won't use any data that way. But, it works better with data (e.g. real-time traffic into), and because SIM cards are so cheap now, I don't see much reason to do without one anymore. (Not Mobal, though - too expensive.)

Posted by
12172 posts

I haven't downloaded Google maps, I'll try it. I usually use Google maps only to search for addresses, then plug them into CoPilot for navigating. I've found Google to be a battery and data hog, plus it won't reroute you if you navigate without data on. Maybe that will work better if maps are downloaded beforehand?

Posted by
5697 posts

Used my NL Vodafone SIM last year on a 5-week driving trip Strasbourg >Black Forest >Burgundy >Provence and had ample data for using Google Maps online plus intra-European calls and WhatsApp at a very low price (around $30 as I remember). Mobal usage would have required a second mortgage.

Posted by
5687 posts

Used my NL Vodafone SIM last year on a 5-week driving trip Strasbourg >Black Forest >Burgundy >Provence and had ample data for using Google Maps online plus intra-European calls and WhatsApp at a very low price (around $30 as I remember).

You can now get 6GB of data with a "You" bundle on the Dutch Vodafone SIM for 20 euros (double the amount of data a few years ago). Or 2GB for 10 euros. Plus the cost of the SIM, which comes with no credit on it. The data bundles are good for 30 days after activation of the bundle. I found that I used about 100MB a day of data for walk-around and public transit Google Maps. I didn't really drive much with my Vodafone SIM, though, but with Google Maps "offline" at least I know I could do without it if need be.

Posted by
99 posts

What about Orange? Need a sim that will work in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Need data. Only there 13 days.

Posted by
99 posts

OH, also would like to buy here via an order and maybe get it set up at Charles DeGuale apt? What companies are sold there? would like to give my number to people here and also my reservations, not on a tour, doing on our own.

Posted by
752 posts

I just used the Orange Holiday SIM in September. Worked great in cities, remote rural areas and islands, and in the countries you will be visiting. Highly recommend!

To avoid any problems, I bought it at an Orange Boutique in Paris. They set up your account for you, install the SIM, and check that it’s working. It activates when you make a call or send a text, which I did in the boutique. (Just in case).

When you leave France, be sure to enable roaming, so your phone can connect automatically to the local signal.

Orange Holiday also supports tethering. 10g data, calls and texts within Europe and also North America...incoming as well. Good for 14 days so fits your time frame.

If you do buy it in advance on Amazon, be sure to register the sim with Orange on line, at least 2 weeks before you leave. This will eliminate frequent texts from Orange as you approach your 14th day, reminding you to register your sim so you can top up.

BTW have you used Mapquest in Europe before? Google Maps and Viamichelin may be worth checking out for your road trip.

Posted by
99 posts

Never been to Europe before, so there are better GPS app than Mapquest? what is the best one to use on my IPHONE? Is there an ORANGE store at the airport?

Posted by
5687 posts

Google Maps works fine for me. Try it out at home to see how you like it; it will work about the same way in Europe. I haven't used Mapquest in about ten years I think - didn't realize it was still around.

Posted by
99 posts

yep, meant Google Maps. I'll be getting ORANGE HOLIDAY SIM card and use my iPhone for the the Google Maps. I guess when they set up my phone they'll do it for English? LOL!

Posted by
5687 posts

Putting a French SIM in your phone won't change the language of your phone - but you may get text messages from Orange in French. Should be a way to translate them - or switch to text messages in English.

Posted by
99 posts

So any one know if there is an ORANGE SIM card store at the Dublin Airport? I'll be there 3 hrs on the layover for Paris and can save time if I get it there....am on a short schedule when I get to CDG

Posted by
752 posts

Joanne, what is your plan when you get to CDG? Are you not going into Paris, where there are many Orange boutiques. To my knowledge there are no Orange boutiques per se in CDG, and none in Dublin. And I wouldn’t buy it at the Relay shop, no one there will really be able to help you. If you are under a huge time crunch (transferring to another flight or train), it may be easier to get the sim on Amazon, using the Orange USA vendor. When are you leaving on your trip?

Posted by
99 posts

We are driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Dulles Airport on the 2nd of June. Saves like $800! Catching an Air Lingues flight in the evening, transfer in Dublin then arrives in CDG 12:30 on the 3rd. Originally we were suppose to arrive at 9:30am but they changed the flight. No we are not going to Paris at all. Spending the week in Normandy for the 75th anniversary of D day. Our fathers were both paratroopers and we are tracing their steps. On the 7th taking the trains to Brussels where we pick up another car and drive to Bastogne, Arnhem, and the other sites. Flying back to the US from Amsterdam on the 14th. Staying in hotels and Air BnB.

I looked at a map of CDG. They have several "4G" stores that sell the ORANGE. I know I can also buy on Amazon with free shipping but can install when we get to Europe and then who would help me if I have a problem?

Posted by
752 posts

Wow, those kiosks are fairly new, great marketing on their part. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I prefer to deal with the actual carrier in person, only suggested Amazon as a last resort because I didn’t know how tight your schedule was at CDG. Be sure to take the time for them to register your Sim, to reduce the number of messages you get.

What a special trip you have planned, amazing memories!

Edited to add: here is a helpful FAQ in English for the Orange Holiday, including info on what the various text messages mean: Orange FAQs