Please sign in to post.

Sim card in France

Where is the best place to buy a sim card for an I phone? We will be in France for two months and will not make that many calls except to the places we have rented to let them know when we will arrive. We want one that promps you in English, if possible. Can you buy one in the Airport?

Posted by
784 posts

The Lebara SIM would probably work for you. I bought mine at the first tabac I came to for 5€ and a top up card for another 10€, which was more than enough time to call home everyday, as well as local calls. The per minute rate is pretty low, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Following the instructions, I easily reached an English-speaking rep and was activated in just a few minutes. Yes, you can get the cards at the airport at the Relay shops. BTW, the costs noted above were for voice and text only, not data.

Posted by
12172 posts

You have a lot of options. You can pick up a SIM at kiosks in the airport, at kiosks in shopping malls, at tabac stores, at deparment stores and at dedicated phone stores (some are dedicated to one company, like an Apple store - others sell multiple brands). Since you have an Iphone, you may be somewhat more limited, but I'd still expect to find SIM cards readily available.

When you pick up a SIM, have them put it in at the store and make sure it works. Also have them set the language to English. Once you've taken care of that, you should be fully ready to go.

I've only purchased pay as you go service (and not with an Apple phone). It's not unusual to have to stop by a store (Orange, Vodaphone, etc.) to add value to your SIM. Stores are all over, however, so it sounds more inconvenient than it is in practice.