Please sign in to post.

Sim card advice for Sept/Oct 2024

Hello.

We are travelling throughout France in Sept/Oct for 35 days and we are seeking some advice on the best sim cards to purchase.

We will generally need to use our data for maps/guides/apps, so hope we will not need a lot of data each day.
We're travelling from Australia, and fly into CDG and have heard you can get sims at the airport, or in Paris itself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance. C + R

Posted by
1413 posts

Sorry, no experience with Sim Cards. Do you have a smart phone that is "unlocked" and allows you to purchase an E-Sim. I used Airalo E-Sim in May for my trip through Portugal & Spain. Easy to set up prior to departure and use during my trip. Holafly is another E-Sim company.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
10486 posts

My son, visiting in France from the US, went into a phone store last week that sells cases, SIM cards, etc. He bought a prepaid, 30 day, rechargeable sim for 16€ and he was good to go. There were several brands to chose from. We still have physical sims here in France.
He could have gotten a Free brand sim for 20€ or Orange, both major providers.

Posted by
12 posts

Last fall, we bought SIM cards from SIMCorner for month-long trip to several countries in Europe. They worked out well for us. The only negative was that the phone number associated with the card was in the UK and the cards only allowed calls to the country where the phone was located. Had I needed to call my wife for some reason, I would not have been able to connect. That wasn't needed for us, and we had good connections for data and local phone calls. Another plus was that the data was good for 30 days, vs. some of the other plans that were for shorter periods.

I believe SIMCorner does business in Australia as well as the US. You order your cards in advance, tell them the date you want them activated, and install them in the phone when you arrive (or are on your way).

Jeff

Posted by
12 posts

thanks for taking the time to reply and make suggestions. I'm going to look into SIM corner, and the other eSIMS suggested.

C + R

Posted by
10486 posts

You might be better off with a physical sim that you just pop in and use. If you have any trouble activating the e-sim, you’d be dealing with virtual customer service .

I have both an e French sim and ann old US physical sim in my phone in France. I can move the physical sim to different phones when necessary.