Please sign in to post.

Uber vs Cab in Paris

I have some Uber credit Id like to use. Does anyone know if Ubers are more affordable than cabs in Paris or are their fares the same? There would only be two riders.

Thanks
Heidi

Posted by
2622 posts

How many of you are traveling? Cab fares are fixed now.....Orly to the Left Bank is 30 Euros, 35 to the Right Bank. This is for up to 4 passengers....no luggage supplement. This might be a pretty reasonable option for you.

Posted by
3688 posts

With the fixed rates, a shuttle from Orly makes little sense. I have seen shared shuttles for 25 euros per person and private for 55, which does not seem cost effective with the fixed rate taxis. Unless you take a shared shuttle, you will pay more than the fixed taxi rate. There are mass transit options from Orly: http://parisbytrain.com/transportation-paris-orly/. The first three at the link I posted are the options for daytime travel. In addition, you could take the T-7 tram from the South Terminal and exit the tram at Villejuif-Louis Aragon metro station where you would pick up Metro line 7. I don't know where your hotel is located but you can figure out how to get there using www.ratp.fr/en. By the way, what horror stories have you heard?

Posted by
8035 posts

Even before the new fixed charges we rarely paid more than 30 from Orly in a cab -- sometimes 35. Taxi has always been the best way for two or more people to come in from Orly. What are these 'horror stories' you have heard about Paris cabs? We have used them on numerous trips and always been very pleased. Used them twice to and from CDG to Montmartre last fall for 45 Euro each time. Used them from to Orly the year before for 30. What makes anyone think an Uber would be safer and more reliable?

Posted by
2916 posts

I've never taken a cab to Paris from CDG or Orly, since public transport is so easy. But with the new fixed fares, it seems that it will often make sense to take a taxi, especially from Orly. And especially after such a long flight.

Posted by
118 posts

As the train system is excellent I would see no reason why you would take a Cab and certainly not Uber.

Posted by
211 posts

Last 2 responses are fantastically unhelpful. The questions was about automobiles not trains. Doubt the train system will let him use his Uber credit.
Just to answer the question, I've only taken taxi from airport. Easier than train. And they actually handle your luggage for you. And amazingly stop at the place you are staying. Real hard to get the train conductor to do that for you. Not used Uber yet, but plan to on this Oct trip. Microcapitalism at its best.

Posted by
10176 posts

It appears that way, Skip, but the OP has been edited, so most of the answers fit the original OP.

Posted by
2466 posts

The flat fees only apply to CDG and ORY. There are no flat fees that apply in Metropolitain Paris.
Depending on where you live and the current exchange rate against the euro, the Uber fares might be more expensive.
I do not know if Uber credit is transferable between different countries, if this is your case.

You can take a regular Paris taxi from the Champs-Elysees to Bastille in midday traffic for around 25 EU. The minimum fare to go any distance is 6.80 EU. Most rides cost around 10 - 15 EU.

Posted by
8035 posts

In a public forum the OP does not own the discourse. The issue is transportation and the OP may not always be asking the 'right' question. If the answer doesn't please you then move to the next.

Posted by
3688 posts

Cab fares in Paris are only fixed for trips to and from Orly and CDG.