Please sign in to post.

Should I go into Paris during the 2024 Olympics or skip altogether?

Can I have your opinion?

We will be on a cruise docking in Le Havre July 24 to July 25. It is already a 2.5 or 3 hour trip to Paris. I have never seen Paris but it is at the start of the Olympics! Would you take a ship tour into Paris or will it be way too crowded and traffic?? The other thought is Versailles but same question since it seems that is also close to Paris.

Any suggestions. Opinions?
Thank you from a Newbie to Europe.

Posted by
8145 posts

It's just about 10 miles out to Versailles from Paris' center city. So it's essentially in Paris.

Just stay up on the coast as there is plenty to see there. When we came off a ship there, we were not about to go into Paris by train. There's just not enough time to see the city properly. But there again, we've been to Paris a number of times.

Posted by
7850 posts

Yes go if you are curious and it is a guided tour; it is not like the tour is taking you into a war zone. That's how you discover "oh I definitely got to go here and give it more time on another trip."

Posted by
9583 posts

Just an odd note to advise that while the opening ceremony isn't until July 26, the first athletic competitions actually start on July 24 !

Posted by
6510 posts

If all you want to do is eyeball the city, check the box that you were there, and maybe inform a future decision whether to go back, then the ship's excursion would make sense. Traffic will be the bus driver's problem, overcrowding at stops won't prevent you from at least seeing streets and exteriors, and you won't miss the ship's departure. The Olympics might provide some excitement in the city that you'd otherwise miss, even though you won't be seeing the games themselves. But there's a risk that you'll be so overwhelmed and tired that you won't like the city.

My recommendation would be to focus on places like Le Havre, Rouen, Honfleur, or the D-Day beaches, where you can spend less time on a bus and more time experiencing Normandy, a beautiful and historic part of France. Save Paris for when you can spend at least several days there, enjoy the evenings and mornings, have some good meals, and spend more time at the sights that appeal most to you. Hopefully you'll have time in life for multiple visits to this wonderful city (and day trips including Versailles if you want).

From your post it seems that this cruise overnights at Le Havre, potentially giving you two days to explore in France. Is there any potential to overnight in Paris? That might change the equation somewhat.

Posted by
162 posts

My first time in Paris was the day they won the World Cup in 1998. It was insane but exposed me to the city and whet my appetite for future visits. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Posted by
541 posts

I am planning to go to Paris for the Olympics. As has been previously stated, the competitions start on the 24th and each day certain roads will be blocked off, depending on what events are taking place. I am attaching an article that has maps of what roads will be closed off each day. I think even if the roads are closed off, you could still walk around unless it is close to a competition venue and in that case you will need to have a ticket to the event. If you absolutely want/have to go to Paris on this trip, you could probably pull it off with some planning. If it were me, I would consider another city closer to the port and without the Olympic roadblocks. I hope this link helps!!

https://www.fattiretours.com/paris-2024-olympics-how-to-get-around-the-city/?fbclid=IwAR1p8Znky0VJ4ZCmi4bHDovaEBDRTJk3Y7rEjBhM7ycF-pFp_cXJOCNOcnE

Posted by
13946 posts

I'm reading this as being a port excursion you'd be taking and not the end of your trip? If it's a port excursion, I'd probably do one that is closer to Le Havre anyway instead of spending 6 hours on a bus to/from regardless of Olympics or not. Honfleur is nearby and interesting. The Normandy landing beaches are about 1.5-2 hours away.

Posted by
9583 posts

Especially considering that it's possible that it may be much longer than six hours (RT) on a bus, if road restrictions -- or heck just more-intense-than-usual traffic -- are in place.

Posted by
2 posts

I think we will save Paris for another time (hopefully). I would love to go to see Giverny since we are big Monet fans but the excursion looks pretty expensive unless I can get other people to join. We'll look at Roen or Honfleur.

Thank you so much for all the replies and suggestions! This is my first post. It has been really helpful. ( and thankyou for the road map Charles.)

Posted by
421 posts

I would save those for a separate trip. To do Paris or Versailles as an excursion (particularly during the Olympics) sounds too hectic.

Posted by
14510 posts

My trip dates include still being in Europe at the start of the Olympics. I may even find myself in France (some of the trip I'm playing by ear) but most likely in Germany prior to return flight.

If so, I won't be staying in Paris on those dates, that's for sure but rather in a place within a one to 1.5 hour radius from Paris, eg, Bar-le-Duc, Amiens, Arras, Maubeuge, Meaux, etc. The small hotels in these less or practically tourist empty towns will fit the bill just fine.

Too tempting not to be in Paris , even as a day trip, for this momentous event, if only to experience, at the least, the atmosphere, the crowds, the mood, and all that.