Please sign in to post.

Shopping in Paris

Where's a good place to shop in Paris? I don't want souvenir shops or high priced, ritzy brands. Just local boutiques to find some interesting clothes, shoes, books, etc.

Thanks

Posted by
2030 posts

Go to the Marais - many interesting shops. Also the St. Germain area.

Posted by
15584 posts

For books, Shakespeare & Co. Don't eliminate the department stores - lots of good stuff at Galleries Lafayettes (and worth stopping just to see the store) and Printemps on blvd. Haussmann.

Posted by
2030 posts

Besides Shakespeare & Co, WH Smith and Galignani bookstores on 200 Block of Rue du Rivoli are very good , as well as the San Francisco Book Company in the 6th arr. All English bookstores, good for browsing. Colette on Rue St. Honore is a very hip, interesting store. Their clothes are expensive, but they have many other things. Check out their website.

Posted by
1336 posts

Or for the easy one stop mall experience go to the huge Les Halles or Les 4 temps.

Posted by
2466 posts

The things you mentioned are spread out all over the place.
You'll still have to do quite a lot of walking to find what you want, but the better places to look are in the Marais, from Metro Saint Paul to Republique and again in the Latin Quarter, from Metro Odeon heading in any direction at all.

Posted by
2466 posts

Debbie, rue du Commerce is just a small street with the same chain boutiques that are everywhere else in town. Fine if you're in the area, but you don't need to go out of your way to shop here because there's nothing you can't find in more convenient areas. In addition, there are only one or two cafes on the whole street, not counting McDonald's.

Posted by
6 posts

I enjoy Rue de Rennes and make multiple trips there every visit.
It's a nice walk from Montparnasse Tower to Bd. Saint Germain. There are enough little shops, some chains, Monoprix at each end, a lot of cafes, bakeries, etc.

If you don't want the hassle of CityPharma, there's a Parashop on the street and I found some of their prices to be lower or the same, they don't have the enormous selection or hordes that are part of the CityPharma experience though.
Take public transportation to one end and work your way to the other.

The electronics store, FNAC is worth a visit just because and they now have a UNIQLO on lower level.
Near the river and Hotel de Ville, BHV is also one of my favorites and I usually make a few trips there during my visits.
At that point, you'll be on Rue du Rivoli which is also a decent shopping street west of BHV.
There are a lot of chain stores but some of them may be unique to Paris/Europe, chain stores are not always a negative, especially if you're on a budget.

Posted by
75 posts

I'm in Paris right now in the Les Halles neighborhood and unless you want a Galleria-type experience, skip Les Halles. If you need a Forever 21 or Adidas or Sephora, then go (but I don't think that's what you want!).