Please sign in to post.

Seine River Cruises

Hi! My husband and I will be in Paris in April for our honeymoon, and I'd love to take a Seine River cruise in late afternoon/sunset. I've seen quite a few different cruises, though, so I'm not sure which one is the best to book with. I did a Seine cruise years ago when I was in college, but I think my friends and I booked our tickets the day of? Anyway, since I'll be there with my husband, I'd like to do something special and romantic. Thanks!

Posted by
4758 posts

We've always preferred les Vedettes du Pont Neuf. I think you can buy tickets online, but we've never bothered. Just showed up and bought tickets for the next sailing. Nothing beats an evening Seine cruise. Try to time it so you can see the ET sparkle (after dark).

Posted by
3119 posts

I would only caution you that the run-of-the-mill affordable cruises (e.g., Bateaux Parisiens) tend to be overrun with the "ugly tourist" where pushing and shoving, getting out of one's seat to crowd the windows, and other discourteous behaviors can occur. I am just passing along an honest observation as on our cruise the guide had to stop several times to tell people to get back in their seats. So, if you want a lovely romantic evening on the water you will probably need to choose one in an upper price bracket.

I can recommend a nice traditional French restaurant in the Latin Quarter, if that's the kind of thing you have in mind. See Le Volcan http://restaurant-levolcan.fr/?lang=en

Posted by
6429 posts

There are multiple choices but I'd recommend the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. They leave from the Pont Neuf quite often, you don't need to make any advance arrangements so you can do it when the weather is good. Their standard cruise lasts an hour. They also have champagne cruises weekend evenings, and their website also links to dinner and other specialized cruises (I think offered by other companies). These would probably have to be pre-reserved.

At least one other company offers one-hour cruises from near the Eiffel Tower. Although you're looking for "something special and romantic," I wouldn't recommend a dinner cruise simply because your attention will be divided between what you're seeing and what you're eating. Maybe a champagne cruise would do the trick.

Happy anniversary!

Posted by
702 posts

We also used Vendettes du Pont Neuf and liked it very much. The evening cruises are quite nice. The first time I was in Paris in 2013, I went on a day cruise with Bateau Mouches and I prefer the Vendettes du Pont Neuf because they are smaller boats & less crowded.

Posted by
4728 posts

Best wishes, may you love long and prosper. We've take several with different companies. Les Vedettes du Pont Neuf is by far the best in my book. Don't book ahead because you never know what the weather will do. Just show up. The advanced tickets don't save that much as I recall. Do it after sunset as the lights of the city are great - especially the Eifel Tower.

Posted by
509 posts

Also enjoyed Vendettes du Pont Neuf. In May 2016; no reservations, no problems. Did the evening cruise that they time to catch the Illumination of Eiffel Tower. Don't pay for a dinner cruise. Have a nice meal in the nearby neighborhood, before or after. You'll want to enjoy the sights vs. a menu and dinner on board.

(Just notice that Dick made the same comments; sorry for the repetition.)

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Good advice to not book ahead because of the weather!

Posted by
2466 posts

If you purchase tickets online, you can use them when you wish. I'd suggest you take the sunset cruise - which will be around 10:30 PM.

Posted by
153 posts

No it isn't Chexbres. You are thinking about summertime. The poster will be going in April and sunset in Paris, even at the end of April, is around 5:45. It will be really dark by around 6:20.

Posted by
12172 posts

I also took Pont Neuf. You can buy your tickets online right before you head for the boat and save a few euros per ticket. No reservations needed. I'd recommend Pont Neuf, they have a nice top deck to sit outside. If you are staying near the Eiffel Tower, there are very similar boats that start there, so it's probably not worth making the trip for Pont Neuf. Go after dark after taking a sunset stroll. The river is below Paris ground level and best when the city lights are already on.