Please sign in to post.

Seine River Cruise

We are booked for a cruise to Normandy from Paris early October. Because of the virus, I'm certain we will cancel but not ready to do that quite yet. But, I recently heard that the Seine water level is very high and cruises are cancelled due to that as well. Can someone on the forum speak to that?
Thanks very much!

Posted by
2545 posts

As is often the case, the Seine was high earlier this spring due to heavy spring rains. High water makes the Paris bridges difficult to pass under but right now there is no traffic on the Seine due to the confinement order. However, the river boat port is well downstream of these bridges and would not necessarily be a factor. That along with October’s traditionally tame water levels would mean that river cruises should be operating normally.

The real question will be your ability to reach France this fall from a country outside the Schengen zone. No one knows when France’s international boarders will open for tourists.

Posted by
155 posts

Georgi,
Regarding the Seine water levels, I recommend this website: https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/
which provides an entire section on water levels at different times of the year.

Regarding the cruise itself, who knows what October will bring. We had a mid-September cruise booked for the lower Danube and decided to cancel it after Oktoberfest was cancelled (we were going back-to-back on these tours).

Posted by
23268 posts

You should be checking with the river cruise company to determine if the cruise is cancelled. Since the cruise companies have dealt with river level problems before, they have work around. I doubt if the cruise would be cancelled for high water.

One problem with a river cruise is height of the river can affect it from too high to too low. Spring is a risk of high and Fall can be low. However, we tend to go in Oct and have hit both high and low water. Three years ago in the south of France the captain had cautioned us that we could have problems with the last bridge on the last day. It had been raining for several days NW of there and the river had been raising. Sure enough we were about an inch too tall to get under the bridge so returned to our previous docking. They bused us the last day. Ok but not great.

This past October we did the river cruise between Amsterdam and Prague. And again we were cautioned at the beginning that it had been a dry summer and river level were running low so there might be a problem in one section where the river is very shallow. And it was, ran out of water near the mid-point. So we packed our bags, left them in the room, boarded buses for the day of sightseeing, lunch, etc., later that afternoon we pull up to a dock in the middle of the country side, and there sits our river boat but with a different name. Go to our room and there is our luggage, just as we left it that morning. And we continued on to Prague for another week.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for your quick replies, comments, information, etc. Very helpful.
Stay safe!