Please sign in to post.

Seine cruise

Will be in Paris for a week this august. It's me, my husband, and two boys (11 and 13.) Any recommendations for specific seine cruises? Want to do a night cruise. Don't care about it being a dinner cruise, but not opposed either.

Posted by
4897 posts

We've taken cruises with several companies and Vedettes du Pont Neuf is, in our opinion, the best. The evening cruise when the city is all lit up is really great -- gives new meaning to "The City of Lights".

Posted by
4922 posts

Another vote for Vedettes de Pont Neuf. I appreciate having a live guide on board who narrates the cruise. But I think they all travel the same route, so if you aren't fussy, pick the one you'll be closest to at the time. I've never taken one of the dinner cruises. You can dine or you can watch the scenery; you can't do both without missing something of the other.

Posted by
2030 posts

The live guide on the Vedettes Pont Neuf cruise speaks in French and English. If you require another language, the Bateaux Mouches, and other large boats, have descriptions in several languages, that you listen to on earbuds.

Posted by
45 posts

I have heard great things on this forum and in others about Vedettes Pont Nuef. If we are going in early June, should we book ahead? Or can we reserve day-of/night-of? Thanks for letting me add on to your post Iraditz!

Posted by
7339 posts

I’ve taken the Bateaux Mouches Seine evening cruise every time I have been in Paris since first taking this one during the Rick Steves 1-week Paris tour. I like to go at a time when the boat ride will end near the top of the hour when the Eiffel Tower is sparkling.

Posted by
6563 posts

I like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf, for the live narration and the dock location just below the Pont Neuf. I believe other companies dock near the Eiffel Tower, which might be more convenient for you.

I'd recommend against a dinner cruise because it divides your attention between the scenery and (not necessarily great) food.

EDIT -- No need to reserve ahead, just show up a few minutes before a scheduled departure. Reserving way ahead puts you at the mercy of the weather.

Posted by
15602 posts

Les Vedettes du Pont Neuf is the one I like and recommend. It leaves from Pont Neuf and takes about an hour. Avoid dinner cruises like the plague! My favorite times are at sunset so you watch as the lights go on or after dark. It's worth doing more than once if you're in Paris for 5 days or more. You can save €2 per ticket by buying anytime tickets online.

Posted by
12172 posts

I also went on Vedettes du Pont Neuf. The boats are large with plenty of seating on top.

I didn't pick it because I thought it was the best. Several companies run the same circular routes with different starting points. Pont Neuf was convenient to the Marais. Once on the boat, it appeared as nice or nicer than the competition.

You can save a couple of euro each by booking online (even right before leaving your lodging to go there).