Please sign in to post.

Sainte Chapelle

Hello!

My husband and I are visiting Paris July 1-6. During that time, we are planning to visit Sainte Chapelle. I do plan to buy the museum pass, and I know that you need a reserved timed entry, but I cannot seem to crack the code with the website. No slots are available from now to forever! Not for regular tickets, not for museum pass holders, nothing. I know it is too early to reserve for July, but I just want to get a sense of how early to jump on it. I have sent a message to Sainte Chapelle through their website, but so far nothing. Can anyone lend some insight?

Also, are women expected to cover their shoulders in churches as in Italy? Thank you!

Posted by
3707 posts

I can't answer the first part of your queries but as to whether women are expected to cover their shoulders in churches as in Italy, here goes. Places of worship built before 1905 are property of the French Republic and are at the disposal of the religion in question but are not really controlled by it and, there are no Italian style rules for entering a church. That being said, most people I know dress with some modicum of thought to the fact that they are entering a church but I have seen some outfits at the big tourist site churches in Paris that are head scratchers.

Posted by
674 posts

s42mahoney,
Ste. Chapelle is no longer an operating Catholic church...no masses, etc. However, it was a church and is a beautiful place that formerly saw religious services. Because of its history, I would dress with, as JHK says, a modicum of thought. You may think of it as more of a museum, but one that has witnessed untold moments of prayer and sanctity.
As far as reserving a slot with a museum pass, I cannot answer. Last May we reserved a slot on the same day, just about 2-3 hours before. Slots were for the hour and the half-hour.

Posted by
431 posts

In September of 2023, I was unable to get tickets one day ahead of time for Sainte Chapelle. As with many attractions in Europe, I would recommend reserving as soon as it is possible to do so.

Posted by
82 posts

This is exactly the problem. I want to reserve, but I'm starting to think its like finding a needle in a haystack. There is no availability at all...not even for May or June.

Posted by
3707 posts

I just looked at the site. It looks like the tickets are not yet available for July. I would check at the end of this month because June dates are currently open and all June dates I looked at have slots available. It looks like they are opening up ticket sales two months in advance. By the way, are you looking at the official site for your tickets?

Posted by
249 posts

We were at Saint Chapelle last week. We had timed tickets that I purchased quite a while back. It was still chaotic and a little confusing. But we were admitted to go through security about 20 min after our scheduled time. Then security then we walked though.

Can’t imagine July in non ticketed line.

All the hundreds of people inside/outside were dressed the same…jeans and walking shoes.

July tickets haven’t gone on sale yet. Keep checking. I think the tickets go on sale a couple of months out, so check May 1. (Though check everyday prior just in case.) I booked so many things I can’t remember exactly how far out I purchased mine but the current calendar shows availability through June 30. So the next ticket availability will be your week.

Posted by
680 posts

On TripAdvisor someone posted: "Go next door to the Conciergerie and buy a “combo ticket” for both attractions. Then you can go back to the Chapelle and enter straight away (or with whatever time slot is being allowed to go in). It’s a massive loop hole and worked like a charm for me. The Conciergerie is also a nice attraction and worth seeing as well so be sure to see both - especially if you paid for it!"

Has anyone done this recently and can verify?

Posted by
6 posts

There seems to be a lot of tickets left for June. I just bought June 2nd, 5 people.

Posted by
82 posts

Thank you Rick Steves community! I was on the right website, but I can see that June is now available, so I will have to make sure I am checking every day around mid-May. June just became available and I am sure will sell out soon. I have not checked out PMP availability yet, but I am just relieved to know that we have a fighting chance.