Please sign in to post.

Safety traveling to Paris.

I don't know if a topic like this is allowed but I will ask my question and see. My husband and I are planning a trip to England and Paris this summer. Planned on being in Paris the beginning of July. In light of the recent protests I am wondering if we should reconsider our plans. I see that the President of France has lifted gas taxes for the next 6 months to stop the tension. However the end of the 6 months will be late June, early July, right when we plan on being there. Wondering if it will be safe. Thanks.

Posted by
20018 posts

By "safe", do you mean your personal safety, or safe from inconvenience of travel disruptions. For the first, I would say you are in much greater danger where you are now than you will be in France or England. As far as travel disruptions, who knows? Strikes, protests, civil disobedience are a long tradition in France, and I see no reason why next summer would be any different than this summer.

Posted by
3992 posts

In 2015, the people of Baltimore savaged their city in the exact same way as the Parisians with violence, looting, setting fires, graffiti, etc. Would you tell people not to travel to Baltimore?

So Macron lifted the carbon taxes he was about to impose only for 6 months. Consequently, acting like savage beasts by violence, fire, looting, etc works and I suspect the savagery would resume in June.

I'd still travel to Paris however. I still did business in Baltimore during the savagery and didn't let those vile thugs stop me.

Posted by
5579 posts

I have a friend in Paris right now. He is fine and having fun. There are several threads going right now about this situation.

Posted by
64 posts

We were in Paris two weeks ago during the first protest. The only issue we had was trying to get around the protesters, who were acting as road blocks. Our driver was able to use the bus lane to get around the protesters, and we were able to continue on our journey to the 10th pretty quickly. We were not trying to avoid the area for the protesters, but for the Black Friday shoppers :) Never once did I feel unsafe in Paris.

Posted by
5256 posts

Would you tell people not to travel to Baltimore?

That's probably good advice ; )

Posted by
5256 posts

It's highly likely that you will be safe. Unless you're intending to join the riots there's no reason for you to come to harm. They're not something that sneak up on you, it's pretty clear where a riot is taking place or when one is building up. All the riots are avoidable for those who don't want to get involved, your biggest problem would be disruption to some of the places you might want to visit.

Posted by
362 posts

Please: Make sure you sign up with STEP, Smart Traveler Enrollment Program . A service of the bureau of consular affairs the USA state department. It has been of great value to me with information about issues in the country I’m traveling. It notified me by email of demonstrations location, upcoming hurricanes, forest fires and worker strikes; the most recent was a taxi strike in Portugal in September. Can’t stress this program enough.

Posted by
5579 posts

Yes, the STEP program of the State Department is a great service. Sounds a little over the top, but it makes me feel good to also know where the embassies/consulates are when I travel abroad. I laughed at my son when he took his first trip abroad. It was to Budapest. He informed me of the exact street address of his embassy in Budapest. That kid is a planner! Just don't freak when you see something in your email from STEP. We got something when we were in Sevilla, and it was about Barcelona. Even in Barcelona, it wasn't a big deal, just something good to know and Barcelona is quite a distance from Sevilla.

Posted by
12172 posts

In this case if you see more than a few yellow vests gathered, I'd steer clear. Other than that you should have no problem at all.

If there are riots they will be in isolated areas (usually only one area on any given day) and are easy to work around. I'd heard they were rioting on Champs Elysee (didn't say exactly where) which might be problematic if you're going to the Arc de Triomphe. The Tour de France is in July. If you're there for the finish, that area will be packed and the police will keep rioters well away. There are plenty of sights in Paris. If you have to, skip one and come back to it later.

There are scammers around the major tourist attractions (three card Monty, petition people, some pretending to be deaf and dumb, pocket pickers, friendship bracelets). I've only been to Paris in May and Sept/October. I imagine the scams grow with the crowds. Use normal precautions to protect your valuables and above normal precautions when someone approaches you - best to say no and walk away without pausing.