Please sign in to post.

Safety in Paris

Is it safe to wear your jewelry in Paris? I'm not talking the crown jewels - just simple gold necklace and earrings. We were in Barcelona in 2019 and were told not to wear any gold jewelry because thieves were jerking it right of the necks of tourists.

Posted by
6794 posts

In general, I would not want to wear jewelry with emotional value in a holiday context when it is easier to lose things. But otherwise, many people here go out with fancy jewelry, expensive bags, high-end watches... on a daily basis, and Paris is safe enough to allow that.
Pickpocketing is more of a concern (use inside pockets if you have them).

Posted by
23178 posts

I think it is prudent not to wear expensive jewelry and rings. There are reports of these kinds of thing happening. While it may happen, the frequency is very, very low. I have never seen it reported on this web site. We did have a bad case of a shoulder bag been grabbed. Generally the thief tries to be more sneaky. Grabbing a necklace attracts a lot of attention. So if you absolutely have to wear it, wear it.

Posted by
7731 posts

As long as you are not out walking down an alley or somewhere isolated late night inebriated no problem.

Posted by
13809 posts

A simple gold necklace and earrings should not be a problem. As indicated above, more at issue is the random chance of being pickpocketed and you won't even feel them near you. Are these earrings ones you wear at home? Just asking as depending on when you go there may be some masking requirements (now only on public transport in Paris) and they can be an issue with earrings.

You'll probably see more high end purses around which will likely cost more than your simple jewelery.

Posted by
7981 posts

I have spent months in Paris over the past few decades and NEVER experienced or seen this kind of violent jewelry theft nor do I know anyone it has happened to. I think it is prudent to not wear flashy jewelry while traveling but more because of the risk of losing it then having it stolen. I wear my gorgeous wedding ring and simple gold chain without concern. But other than my wedding ring I don't wear things traveling I would be gutted to lose.

Pickpockets are ubiquitous Never have valuables in pockets or backpacks. Carry only the money you need that day and one card and keep it well stowed in cross body purse or inside hidden pocket or one of those neck wallets worn under your jacket. Pickpockets are skilled -- mostly people don't realize they have been hit till they go to use the card or reach for their money. They want phones, credit cards and money and if they get your card, there will be 20K on it before you even note to report it. They are professionals. Most dangerous places are tourist spots like the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and metros particularly line 1 but really any is possible.

Posted by
197 posts

Generally, my thoughts are do what you are comfortable with for ANY big city. Personally, I wouldn't for any big city, regardless where it is located. But, and I have no stats to back this up, I think you would be more likely to LOSE a valuable item than it getting stolen... but all it takes is a 1 time event to ruin your vacation, and you can lose something that is dear to you.

The 1 Line has a warning every time it gets to the Louvre stop about pickpockets in multiple languages. My philosophy is always be on the lookout, be aware of your surroundings, and act appropriately. Then again, I grew up in New York, so this was typical I believe for people my age :-)

Glenn.

Posted by
10121 posts

True for Barcelona at that time, but not a problem in Paris. Different problems in different cities. That said, I wear mostly imitation jewels when traveling.

Posted by
2537 posts

Completely safe to wear jewelry in Paris. Pickpockets are the problem, not armed robbery or assault.

Posted by
7595 posts

I echo the advice to avoid wearing expensive jewelry. Violent robbery is not so bad, but it is a concern, especially in some areas of the city.

Pickpockets are a HUGE problem, almost as bad as Barcelona. Suggest men wear a money belt and women have Packsafe purse.

Posted by
1118 posts

Just conjecture here, but with the prevalence of pickpockets in Paris, wearing jewelry that appears expensive could be advertising that you may have other valuables on you, and could attract more of their attention. And don't let anyone tell you that a person who puts their hands on your body and in your pockets to take your property isn't a violent criminal.

Posted by
3067 posts

It's just prudent to leave any valuable or sentimental jewelry at home.
You're only away for a few weeks, and you can wear the good stuff at home without worry.
Gather up some costume jewelry that is cheap but that you still like, and take that.
A watch tells the time just the same no matter how much it costs.
Also...there are lots of great shops in Paris to buy new stuff while you are there!

Posted by
140 posts

We were out doing errands the other day and I kept putting my phone in my back pocket, then would catch myself and put it in my purse. Trying to break the habit before we go. But I’m also bringing pants with no pockets to help prevent habit from taking over. I think that kind of lapse is a bigger risk than someone going after jewelry.

Still, I will not be bringing any valuable jewelry, other than my wedding ring which doesn’t come off without a lot of effort. And it’s on the modest side, so not worried it will attract attention. And I stopped wearing my Rado a decade ago, with phones taking over that function.

Posted by
1025 posts

I have a counterfeit Rado. Perhaps I should wear that as a lure.....;-)

Posted by
140 posts

@wbfy1 — the only nice watch I’ve ever owned, that I bought in Switzerland a few lifetimes ago. I got a great deal on it, just didn’t realize how good until a few years later. I didn’t even know the buckle was gold and tossed it when I replaced the band :-/ Ahhh, the obliviousness of youth

It really is a beautiful piece though. I should get a new band and battery and wear it.

Posted by
15 posts

I live in Paris. Pickpockets are the problem for everyone, but when you speak English you could attract more, especially the gypsies around tourist sites. Be wary of one distracting you while other picks your pocket.

I never think about jewelry attracting pickpockets, but then again Parisians are generally low-key with jewelry so if you wear something flashy that could be a beacon for pickpockets. In generally, flashy dressing will really make you stand out as "not from here" in Paris.

Posted by
1156 posts

Simple advice and same from everyone. Leave the expensive jewelry at home.