Please sign in to post.

Sacre-Coeur

While visiting Sacre-Coeur any safety issues and recommendations to handle the African men bracelet scammers ?

Posted by
2466 posts

Just go up the back way behind Sacre-Coeur and nobody will bother you.
I've never even seen them even when I take the funicular.
Safety concerns are not necessary if you keep hands in pockets, and just avoid large groups of people - it's easy to go around them.

Posted by
12172 posts

Last time I went, I started at the top at the church, then sat at the bottom of the hill watching the scammers. There were about a half dozen men, generally two of them trying to put bracelets on people at a time with the others close (maybe looking for opportunities with distracted tourists?). I didn't pay complete attention to them, I was people watching too.

I saw only one arrest. One man was arrested rather forcefully near the top of the hill. I didn't see what led up to it. From what the police were saying, it seemed like the person was known to them.

Posted by
10209 posts

Don't go up the stairs or the side path. Go up a street such as the Lepic or take the Funicular. I have seen groups of four surround people so they can't get by.

Posted by
94 posts

My husband and I were there last month. When leaving Sacre-Coeur, we walked down the big hill in front of the church. A man came up to us and very forcefully and firmly grabbed my husband's arm. I'd read about the scam on this forum, so I somewhat knew what was going on. I grab my husband's arm and yanked it in the opposite direction and we went on our way. It was a little intimidating but not scary since we'd read about it here first. Does anyone know how they make this scam work? It seems weird that they can put a bracelet on you and then force you to pay. Can't you just refuse? I figure they must make it work somehow or they wouldn't keep on doing it.

Posted by
11507 posts

I walked up the stairs , right by lounging bracelet scammers , smiling , I carried my arms folded across my chest . They knew why . A few called out to me , but it wasn't scary or mean, just stuff like "hey pretty lady why you rush " . I said nothing , kept walking up . None of them actually approached me , I am also a good walker so keep a brisk pace . I was alone and felt no danger .