Please sign in to post.

Rouen France

Heading there in 10 hrs do to unforeseen circumstances. There from 10a to 6pm. Any suggestions of what to do and see?

Posted by
116 posts

Go to the cathedral, of course. It's quite a view.
If you're an art fan, the Musee Beaux Arts is pretty good. While it has some Monet's and Renoir's, it's also got a lot of lesser known Impressionists that are quite good. When I was there last about 6 years ago, it was free. There were quite a few half-timbered buildings as well as some nice squares/piazzas in which to do some people watching. I found the spot where Joan of Arc was burned to the stake anti-climatic but it is historically relevant

Posted by
9 posts

I spent a couple of days there and enjoyed walking through the old town, viewing the art museum Musee des Beaux Arts, and really liked visiting the Church of St. Joan of Arc (the modern church).

If you haven’t visited Monet’s house and garden (Giverney), it is an easy 45-minute train ride to the little town of Vernon. Once in Vernon, there is a bus that can take you to Giverney. I just grabbed a taxi; I think it was about a 10-minute drive (don’t quite remember - someone can correct me, though).

Posted by
27142 posts

Rouen's restored historic center is gorgeous.

In addition to the art museum there's a wrought-iron museum--not too large--in an old church. It was surprisingly interesting.