Please sign in to post.

Rodin Museum

Does Musee Rodin still have the deal that one can tour the sculpture garden outside the museum for just one Euro? I don't see it on their website. Rick used to say it was the best deal in Paris.

Posted by
471 posts

We did it as part of the Paris Museum pass but that was pre-COVID. There was also a lovely, little outside cafe on the grounds.

Posted by
7036 posts

I couldn't find the answer to this online - some tourist websites said yes, some said no, the official website had nothing about it. So, I emailed them from their offial website and this is the answer I got: "Thank you for your message. Tickets include access to both the gardens and the museum, there are no separate tickets only for the gardens. You can find all the information on ticket prices on our website. See you soon at the musée Rodin!" I did the bolding of that sentence myself. I'm actually quite disappointed to know that because I have 'done' the museum and then I did visit the garden only on another occasion (10 years ago) and would love to just visit the garden and sculptures again without paying for the museum, which I don't need to visit.

Posted by
8063 posts

You used to be able to access the gardens for a couple of Euros without buying museum tickets -- that got too popular and so they ended it. Frankly unless you think Rodin was a great sculptor and love his stuff, the garden is quite sufficient. There are a number of his sculptures in it. I am not a great fan of Rodin and it was plenty for me. Alas -- no longer an option.

Anything that gets published as 'the best bargain' will soon be gone once people catch on. The Cinque Terre when we visited it was a lonely seldom visiited by US tourists place -- it was heaven. No souvenir shops, no aimless wanderers present because it was on an itinerary. A true treasure. Now it is a tourist trappy spot, albeit with a lovely view -- but hidden treasures get ruined quickly when 'discovered.' When we hiked the CT -- it was us and a dozen German hikers for a whole weekend.

Posted by
4412 posts

I like Rodin and enjoyed the garden, Rick hints that doing the inside tour is overkill and I agree. You should spend more time outside and just kind of skim the inside, there is just too much non-essential stuff.

Also realize you might get your fill of Rodin at the Musee d'Orsay, they had a surprisingly large section of his works.

Posted by
6905 posts

I used to work nearby and they used to sell packets of 10 tickets to the gardens for like 20 euros... memories! Full admission price is quite steep if one is only interested in the gardens.

Posted by
3391 posts

I was just there and did not see this option.

Posted by
727 posts

The museum is worthwhile if just for the great Camille Claudel pieces. Her work is rather rare considering she destroyed much of it. I was rather impressed with the museum when I visited in 2016 after it's 3 year $17.4 million renovation was completed in 2015. Many people think it's a beautiful museum and as an art historian and artist I would agree.

Posted by
1482 posts

As I was reading responses I was thinking..."but then you would miss Camille Claudel's work!"
Silas Marner beat me to it.

Posted by
4046 posts

I haven't been there since it was refurbished, but the museum used to show just how much Rodin's studios functioned as a production line, churning out copies.