Please sign in to post.

River Cruises

Anyone with experience with Vantage or AMA River Cruises? We are looking at the Paris & Normandy Cruise. Our only experience is with Viking.

Posted by
4882 posts

I would suggest having a look at the river cruises forum on Cruise Critic.com. You're more likely to get informed reviews there.

Posted by
11169 posts

We found AMA Waterways to offer a higher level of service and experience than Viking.

Posted by
327 posts

There is a website RiverBoatRatings dot com that might be useful for you to look at. (Vantage and Viking were both rated lower than AmaWaterways based on their criteria.) I have yet to experience a Europe river cruise but friends have taken 3 satisfying river cruises in France with Uniworld.

Posted by
1019 posts

I have taken two AmaWaterways cruises. The Christmas markets in Dec 2015 on the Danube. Starting point in Prague, bus to starting point in Nuremburg and down to Budapest. The second was last month. June 1-9 on the Rhone river. Three day start in Paris, then via TGV train to starting point in Lyon to Arles. Then train from Nimes to Barcelona for the land excursion part.

I love this cruise line, but it is expensive to me, but worth it. Nice tours, wonderful staff, and awesome food, drinks, beer, water, and wine. Accommodations and cabins are terrific.

Kim

Posted by
936 posts

If you can afford it, Tauck is by far the best. We have taken Viking, AMA, Uniworld (also amazing) - but none have come close to the all inclusiveness of Tauck, not to mention, the best guides, food, and service - (also unlimited high end alcohol is included). There is a reason they win Travel and Leisure's best RiverCruise.