Please sign in to post.

restaurants in loire valley

Does anyone have good restaurant recommendations for this area. I'll be staying at Chateau de Pray and I know it has a good restaurant, but I'd also like to try others. Thank you

Posted by
749 posts

just about every village has a restaurant - but it depends what your definition of "good" is. Basicially, because there are so many restaurants there is plenty of competition, so any poor restaurant doesn't last very long. Also, because most French people consider themselves experts on food, they tend to be hyper-critical of restaurants if they don't meet their standards.

This doesn't mean all the restaurants are of Michelin star standards, they tend to provide farmhouse style, large lunches. Just about any restaurant with white vans outside at lunchtime will be interesting for you.

Evening meals is a different thing - because most working people eat in restaurants at lunchtime (and make it their main meal of the day), evening restaurant visits are usually only for special occasions, and therefore more fancy - but also considerably more expensive.

Being near Amboise gives you a few choices - Parvis and Chez Bruno are good and I would recommend them, but its like I started out by saying - how high do you set the bar for good?

Posted by
10344 posts

Because you're asking about a large geographical area, you may want to consult the online version of the Michelin Guide (Red version, not green).

Posted by
5579 posts

I'm glad you are eating at Chateau de Pray, it was a highlight of the Loire for us. I'm so sorry that I don't have the name, but we enjoyed a restaurant in Amboise. There is a street with a whole strip of restaurants. If your back is to the river and you are at the start of the street, the restaurant is the first on the left. We thought the food was good and we had a great, fun waiter. And it was fun to sit and watch the activity on the street.

Posted by
517 posts

We had an amazing lunch after a morning at Villandry at Etape Gourmande www.letapegourmande.com. Some of the best Foie Gras I've ever had. We found in the RS France book.