Please sign in to post.

Restaurant recommendations in Nice and Dijon

Will be in Nice and Dijon this June and am looking for restaurant recommendations. Thanks, Jim S., Chicago

Posted by
11156 posts

For Nice, we enjoyed both Chat Noir, Chat Blanc and Flaveur and recommend them.

Posted by
304 posts

Last spring we spent a week in Dijon; we just walked around and chose some restaurants based on ambience, menu, relative lack of smokers (we wanted to eat outdoors in the beautiful weather), etc. We enjoyed the crêperie Les Moulins Bleus on a tiny pedestrian alley near Notre-Dame (we could see the clock tower from our table); with his (French) work colleagues, my husband ate at Restaurant de la Porte Guillaume right near ... the Porte Guillaume :-) ; and we enjoyed the ambience and food at the restaurant Au Moulin à Vent on the Place François-Rude. There were a ton of places to eat at Place François-Rude, all of them with large, busy outdoor seating – we just wandered around and chose one that looked good and wasn't too busy! (My husband had a hankering for bœuf bourguignon.) We had a fun view of the people riding the carousel. I see it doesn't get great reviews, but we were satisfied with the food and service. There are definitely less-touristy places to eat, although at least all of the tourists and other patrons we saw were French. There was a thread on this forum on Dijon a while ago and someone recommended a place that was tucked away in a courtyard, but we forgot to check it out, or maybe it sounded too fancy for our tastes – I can't remember.

Also, of course, the very large Place de la Libération has a lot of restaurants around its periphery and the ambience is very lovely and relaxing in the evening. We just happened not to eat there; not sure why!

Definitely try a coupe dijonnaise while in Dijon!

Posted by
678 posts

In Nice, try Bistrot d'Antoine or Bar des Oiseux (or any of the moderately priced restos from the same restauranteur). La Merenda for traditional nicoise cuisine. At the high end, besides Flaveur, consider Jan. There are also a number of interesting new restaurants popping up from new chefs, depending on your interest.

Posted by
6897 posts

At the higher end in Dijon (but still reasonable), I had an excellent lunch at Les Jardins de la Cloche a few years back (memorable enough that I remember it!), and reviews still look good!

Posted by
62 posts

We enjoyed O' Bannelier on 24 Rue Bannelier in Dijon. Quite small, is family run and had a great lunch special. You can get reservations on TheFork.