Please sign in to post.

RER C Line to Versailles from Paris

Hi everyone!

My wife and I just got back from an amazing time in Normandy and Paris even though the weather was pretty hot some days however the stores with the summer sales kept us cool.

Reason for my post is the RER C trains again this summer are not running between Musee d'Orsay and Versailles-Chateau Rive Gauche stations from July 15th to August 22nd. We had to change our plans and luckily enough our hotel was close to Gare St Lazare so we could take the Transilien Line L train to Versailles Rive Droit station then a quick bus ride (or a 20 minute walk) while the other option is Transilien Line N from Gare Montparnasse to Versailles-Chantiers then a quick bus ride (or a 20 minute walk).

Posted by
21 posts

I'm so grateful you posted this!! Headed to Versailles tomorrow, and I couldn't figure out why the City Mapper app wouldn't show me the RER C line. Looks like I'll need to plan for a longer journey in the morning. Thank you!

Posted by
5214 posts

Paul,

Thanks for this information!

Are the buses readily available at Versailles Rive Droit station, or did you have to wait a while?

Can one buy bus ticket from the driver?

Posted by
6 posts

Last time we were there, we were able to take an express train from Versailles to Montparnasse. It only took 15 minutes. Maybe that's an option? We were staying in the 15 near the Eiffel Tower and even with switching to the metro to get back to our apartment, this was still faster than RER C.

Posted by
23 posts

@Priscilla: yes, buses are readily available and you just need to cross street from the station which from train to bus takes 90 seconds. Regarding tickets, if you have Day Ticket that covers Versailles then you are all set. My wife and I had a weekly Navigo pass (worth it's weight in gold) and had no problems using it.

Posted by
23 posts

@Hobbes - Yes, that is one of the options CityMapper gives you however we were staying in the Madeleine area and it was 7-10 minute walk to Gare St Lazare. If you are in the Left Bank area ie Rue Cler then Montparnasse is the better option. To be honest, I was really impressed with the Transilien train we were on and didn't mid the light detour.