Please sign in to post.

Rental car

I'm trying to figure out what insurance I need for a rental we will have for 3 days from Europcar. Our personal car insurance does not cover us in outside of North America, nor does our credit card. I'm buying travel insurance and adding rental coverage. Is that enough? Do I need to buy the "basic" coverage for excess offered by Europcar when I booked the car?

Posted by
7209 posts

Maybe get a credit card that “does” offer you coverage??

Posted by
33 posts

I started digging into our other cards and have one that does cover rentals internationally. Canceled the booking with the other card and booked using that one. Is that all I need to do? No need to add to mt travel insurance plan?

Posted by
33 posts

This is just becoming a pain... I called to get a letter to show the rental company. They no longer have the benefit. Digging through the other cards.

Posted by
22 posts

Have a look at AutoEurope. They will show you an all inclusive price and prices for a few different rental agencies including Europecar.

Posted by
1219 posts

We got the basic with Europcar and I paid with my American Express which does have coverage for us. Used this when renting in England, we are doing France this time, and no problems so far.

Posted by
2916 posts

As someone mentioned, check out AutoEurope, which is a broker (I almost always use them). For the cars offered they'll have up to 3 choices: basic coverage, CDW coverage with a deductible, and CDW with zero deductible. It used to be simple -- I'd rent a car and at the desk I'd tell the agent that my credit card gives me coverage, and that was that. My understanding now is that most, if not all, rental agencies want to see proof of coverage. So for the last 3 years I've taken AE's zero deductible coverage.

Posted by
265 posts

Another option if you have "some" AMEX cards is their full coverage insurance you purchase basically per usage.

Used to cost about $20 for your trip and you could download coverage letter from AMEX site. Used this a lot when COSTCO had AMEX as their only credit card. Last few rentals have used AutoEurope - very simple.

Posted by
427 posts

Seems complicated. Maybe just buy insurance when you rent the car.

Posted by
2916 posts

Maybe just buy insurance when you rent the car.

I suspect it will be a whole lot more.

Posted by
2 posts

Take out any Amex card. Then enroll the card in the optional primary rental car insurance. For $25 per rental (not per day) Amex provides primary coverage.

Posted by
427 posts

I suspect it will be a whole lot more.

Probably not when added to the total cost of the trip. It probably would be a negligible percent difference once all costs are considered.

Posted by
1136 posts

We got the basic with Europcar and I paid with my American Express
which does have coverage for us.

I seem to remember someone posting that CC coverage will not be valid if you purchase any coverage from the rental car company. That is, it has to be the one and only coverage. Perhaps someone can refresh my memory.

Posted by
2916 posts

Probably not when added to the total cost of the trip.

But why pay anything more when you can purchase insurance beforehand. Once you decide that you want CDW, there's no reason to wait until you pick up the car and be subject to whatever their charge is.

Posted by
2916 posts

I seem to remember someone posting that CC coverage will not be valid if you purchase any coverage from the rental car company. That is, it has to be the one and only coverage.

Precisely, but the "Basic" AE rental referred to is no coverage, besides what's legally required. So if you use a cc, that's fine.