Please sign in to post.

Rail Europe

We are looking to fly from NY to Amsterdam spend three days. Book with Raileurope.com to Brussels and also spend three days. From there also on Raileurope.com to Paris for 10 days before returning home to NY. This will be our 4 trip to Paris, but first in Amsterdam and Brussels. Advice on this site and how far to book? Is first class worth it? Are three full days at the other stops enough to get the highlights?

Posted by
20254 posts

You can buy tickets directly from www.thalys.com. My druthers would be 4 in Amsterdam and 2 in Brussels. I'm not all that high on Brussels, but that's just me.

Posted by
2628 posts

I agree with the Brussels warning. There's numerous sites to see in Brussels, but I just didn't like the feel of the place. Do a little more research on the city to make sure it's of enough interest. RS calls it "gritty", I believe, and I felt that was accurate. We did spend three nights there and covered the major sites, many of which were beautiful, but I was just itching to get out of there. You have lots of sites to see in Amsterdam and even more to see in Paris. What about a relaxing city like Bruges in the middle instead of Brussels?

I don't book on Rail Europe - they're usually more expensive. And I don't book first class - it's never seemed worth it.

Posted by
8889 posts

Advice: do not book with raileurope.com They are a reseller, they ARE NOT a train company and do not run any trains.
Book with the company that actually runs the trains. For Amsterdam to Brussels and Brussels to Paris that is: https://www.thalys.com/

Book early for cheap tickets. For example, tickets for Amsterdam to Brussels are currently on sale up 10th October (3 months in advance). Tickets for October are currently going for €29, €45 or €80, depending on which train you choose. It is a lot more if you only book a few days in advance. But, once you by a ticket you have to decide on which train you are taking, you cannot later change your mind, no exchanges nor refunds.

Don't bother with first class. 50% extra for 50% bigger seats. Otherwise no advantage.

A must is a day trip to Brugge, or even better stay in Brugge instead of Brussels. You can do Brussels en route, as you have to change there to get to Brugge.

Posted by
32222 posts

Melissa,

I definitely agree with the others. Do Not book with Rail Europe as you'll likely get a better deal by going directly to the firms that actually operate the trains. For trains operated by SNCF, you can book using www.capitainetrain.com at the same price as the rail networks charge.

I rarely book anything first class, as I don't feel the extra cost is justified. The seating on the fast trains in second class is very comfortable.

I also agree with the advice on Brussels. While the city does have it's "charms", you'd probably enjoy Bruges more.

Posted by
16894 posts

The best rates on the Thalys train depend more on advance booking, available about three months before each travel date, than on which web site you use to purchase tickets. For instance, 2nd-class Brussels-Paris tickets are available for $35 through Rail Europe or €22 through Thalys.com if booking now for October (the nonrefundable, non-changeable rate). I'm another one who would not bother paying for first class. The rides are only a few hours and trains modern and comfortable throughout.

Posted by
32921 posts

$35 is €31.37 today. That's quite a lot more than the Thalys price of €22, I think.

Posted by
23343 posts

RailEurope is a travel agency. They provide a fairly high level of service to North American but you pay for the service and convenience. I rarely find first class "worth it" but you definition of worth it may be different than mine.

Posted by
77 posts

Thanks for all the replies, I feel almost crazy booking two months out normally I plan 8 months out. But the time for vacation is there!