Please sign in to post.

Provence Itinerary help

I'm trying to figure out the travelling logistics. 4-6 days (I'm flexible), with general interests (architecture, old towns, food, walking, museums, people watching, and general ambience). I'm traveling solo in September, flying into Marseille. Would like to stay 2 nights in Marseille, do a boat trip for half day. Then using Avignon as the base (I know there are other options), see some Luberon villages, and some other areas: Arles, Aix, Gordes, St Remy, Nimes. No order of importance, and could add or delete any depending on amount of time, travel time. I can rent car as well as use train where it makes sense.
Open to suggestions from soup to nuts. TY

Posted by
26829 posts

Are you thinking of your 4-6 days as 5-7 nights or as 4-6 nights? After you subtract 2 nights in Marseille, you don't have a lot of time to squeeze in Avignon, Arles, Aix-en-Provence, St-Remy, Nimes, Gordes and the Luberon. I didn't have a car on my trip to that area (nor did I get to all those places), so I can't be sure, but that seems like too many places for the time you have available.

Aix-en-Provence is considerably closer to Marseille than to Avignon. Marseille to Aix takes 40-45 minutes by train.

Posted by
149 posts

More like 5 full days. I wasn't planning on seeing all of them, just looking at possibilities--the travelling in between distance/time involved, which would probably influence the priorities.