Please sign in to post.

Provence Itinerary

Hi,
We will be in France from 22 August to 3 September. We plan to take the TGV from CDG to Avignon and pick up a rental car. We are spending the first evening in Arles because we want to shop at the amazing Saturday market again. After leaving Arles, we check into a farmhouse between Aix and the Luberon that we've rented with a bunch of friends for a week. We've been to Provence numerous times and done a lot of stuff there. The week will be about swimming in the pool, going to markets, wineries, cooking and bonding with our friends who live in London and Munich. As I said, we've been allover Provence and Languedoc - including Avignon, the Camargue, Nimes, Uzes,Les Baux, Cotignac, Orange, Chateauneuf du Pape, Gorge du Verdon, St. Remy, Aix, Isle sur la Sorgue, Nice, the Riviera, etc., etc.

We would love some ideas about what to do with the three nights we have after we leave the farmhouse - Saturday, Sunday and Monday. On Tuesday, we'll get on the TGV back to CDG for an early morning flight back home. Rather than gallop somewhere else in France, we are inclined to spend those days in Marseille. We've never been and we like the thought of it. We're used to gritty, real cities and actually love them. We're huge fans of Naples. We are fairly sophisticated travelers and are undaunted by Marseille's reputation, which I am beginning to think is undeserved.

We love culture, food and wine. We travel easily. What do you folks think?
Cheers,
Jane

Posted by
11294 posts

If you like and can handle Naples, you will be fine in Marseille.

Posted by
16893 posts

You are the perfect candidates to add a stay in Marseille. With three days, Cassis and the Calenques would be my top side trip, for sure, 25 minutes by direct, regional train, then bus connection to the port. Both are discussed in Rick's Provence book, but not his France book. If you have a car and like youth hostels, you could first drive to the La Fontasse hostel in the wilds above Cassis (dorm rooms, no showers, bring food, hike downhill to Calenques) and go to Marseille after.

Posted by
8 posts

One of my absolute best days of my life was when we rented a little boat in Cassis, packed a picnic and some wine, and anchored out in one of the calanques. It was very easy (neither my boyfriend or I had much boat experience at the time), and we spent a wonderful day swimming and relaxing. I definitely recommend finding time for a day trip there!

Posted by
129 posts

jane, when our travel booked this train itinerary for us, she mistakenly had us booked for the slow train from avignon back to cdg, so make sure your ticket has you on the tgv for both ways. we stayed several days in cassis, and loves the waterside lodging, cafes, and boat rides to the calanques. bon voyage. let me know about your time in marseille, merci, nicolas

Posted by
4132 posts

The whole thing sounds absolutely brilliant.

Have a blast.