Please sign in to post.

Provence in September 2023

I'm working on a relaxed itinerary in Provence for 3 people (me, hubby, and 27-yo daughter). We'll fly into CDG approx 9/21 and plan to spend 6 or 7 nights in the area. I'm looking for advice on these questions:
1) I'd like to take the TGV directly from CDG to Avignon on the day we arrive. Is this realistic? How much time should I allow for the transfer? Also, the SNCF website doesn't have schedules posted yet for September; is there another/better way to book these tickets?
2) From what I've read, I think we'd like Arles or Nimes as a home base. I don't want to rent a car in Provence but would like to visit the Camargue and other sights outside Arles and Avignon. Any recommendations for minivan tours?
Thanks in advance!

Posted by
755 posts

Consider flying into Marseille instead. There is a train from there to Avignon which if I remember correctly took about an hour.
I took a minivan tour through Viator that picked me up in Avignon and went to several places and lasted all day and was great. Arles is more quaint than Avignon, but Avignon is a better transportation hub.

Posted by
381 posts

To get to Marseille there are a number of different possible connection cities for flights from USA. CDG is one but also London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and perhaps others.

Posted by
874 posts

I took the TGV from CDG to Avignon. I planned on 90 minutes. We were delayed almost an hour at takeoff and immigration took some time. I was definitely sweating it, but made it with some minutes to spare (carry-on luggage only.) It was nervy, but with all that going wrong I still made it!

You can take the TGV direct to Arles if you plan on staying there. I think Arles would be a better base, Nimes is actually a little out of the way. It’s west of the Rhône (technically Languedoc.)

I can’t recommend specific tour companies, but the tourist office in Avignon sold tours directly there. I imagine Arles would have similar offerings. I thought it was good, and a good value. But they are a bit rushed with a packed itinerary. It was a bit tiring. I respect not wanting to rent a car. Still, after a week getting around Provence I did wish I had rented my own transportation. Mostly because it seemed like a pretty easy area to drive in. I am sure it would have improved my experience. With a week’s time, even a couple days would be worthwhile.

Posted by
10203 posts

I can’t answer your questions, but wanted to confirm that driving in Provence is easy and the best way to see more things and maximize your time. I’ve stayed in Arles and St. Remy and while I enjoyed Arles I preferred St. Remy..

Posted by
27057 posts

Many people on the forum have liked staying in St-Remy, but it has no train service, so without a car you'd be hopping on a bus to get anywhere, and many Provencal destinations would require two buses or a bus and a train.

Posted by
10203 posts

Good point acraven. We had a car so I didn’t know there wasn’t a train. In Arles I stayed at https://www.hotel-regence.com/. It is very close to the train station while still being within the walls and would be convenient for train travel. We had a car but didn’t need it while in Arles, it was used for day trips. This was in 2011, so definitely check recent reviews.