Please sign in to post.

Provence in October

Hi,

We'll be in Provence from 10/12-10/18. We'd like to visit the Luberon or Côtes du Rhône region but Rick's guide warns that the smaller towns like Vaison la Romaine and Roussillon can be "terminally quiet" starting mid-October. Can anyone give me more information on what this means (e.g. will be able to find lodging? will there still be good restaurants to eat? are the vineyards still open for visits?, etc.)? Does one region make more sense than the other for the dates we're planning to be there?

Thanks,

Sasha

Posted by
44 posts

Sasha,

With all due respect to Rick, having lived in the Luberon now for 13 years, I can assure you that "terminally quiet" is a bit of an exaggeration ! For example, of all our favorite restaurants in the area, I can think of one which is shut for vacation that time of year. Likewise, the vineyards are all open for tasting and actually kind of happy to do so as the harvest will be all finished by then. As a bonus, there are quite a good number of fall/harvest village fairs and festivals going on in various places and various weekends. In October, they are generally focused on either wine or "fall" produce (there is an excellent mushroom festival for example which comes to mind).

As for tourists running around, there are certainly less of them than in the heat of the high season. That's actually probably a good thing for you.

And lastly, it'll start just after you leave, but the French schools have a 2 week mid-term break (for the Toussaints holidays) - so things end October and November can get more crowded, though once again nothing like the summer.

• Kevin
Posted by
2 posts

Kevin, thank you so much for the information. I'm relieved. It sounds like a lovely time to go. I can't wait.