Please sign in to post.

Provence in January

I am planning a three week trip to France. Flying in December 20 to Zürich and flying out of Paris around January 10. First 6 days we are spending in the Strasbourg area. I’d like to spend the next week in Provence. If it was summer I’d pick a home base in the country side but being winter I’m wondering if it would be better to stay in one of the cities. Bottom line I’m looking for suggestions for a home base for the area! We will have a rental car. Thanks for your advice

Posted by
10344 posts

Many travelers like to home base in Arles, we've done that but not in January.
I haven't been in that area in January, but my guess is that your idea is a good one of home basing in the larger towns rather than way out in the country, in January. Some/many in the country locations are kind of closed up or have limited services in January, the locals try to go to warmer weather locations in January.

Posted by
2 posts

Not too concerned about the weather. We live in Alaska. It’s -4 today with about 6 hours of light. 40s, 50s and 60s is balmy for us😀. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by
10344 posts

Ok...it will be warmer than Alaska. But probably cooler than southern Spain, or some warm weather January destinations one could think of....

Posted by
15582 posts

Google mistral. That's the big downside to winter in Provence, but maybe not likely around your time of year. Have you considered the Riviera? A few days in or near Nice, drive the scenic coasts and visit the villages, absorb the art at the many museums in the region.

Posted by
27096 posts

I didn't have a car during my 2017 visit to Provence so I can't suggest an appropriate base for you, but if you are interested in museums (art or otherwise), take the time to check their websites so you're aware of their winter schedules. When I was preparing for my trip (which was May-June), I was surprised at how many places closed an extra day each week outside of peak season. Some were closed an extra two days a week in mid-winter (i.e., they were open only 4 days a week). Best to know ahead of time so you can finagle your itinerary to hit your top priorities.

Posted by
16893 posts

A city like Arles or Aix-en-Provence will always be open. Many independent, rural and small-town hotels and restaurants are likely to be closed, but you'll of course confirm that if you plan to book lodging in advance. In the first week of November a couple of years back, I stayed at the Ibis Budget Hotel in Apt for basically that reason. Smaller towns around Apt tended to have restaurants open for lunch only and not much other tourist services open. But you could certainly take plenty of photos without other tourists in them.

Posted by
160 posts

I was in Provence in October. Choose Arles as home base and it was ok but I wish that I had chosen Avignon. Brighter and cleaner town and easy train connections everywhere. You will have a car so that may be less important. But I would still pick Avignon. I would strongly suggest checking out orange and nimes. The “ Roman pass” is a good deal for sights in both towns. Ricks Provence book is excellent

Posted by
620 posts

Hi Noraken,
One of us here did a recent trip report titled something like 'Provencal This' or 'Provencal That'....waitaminute, 'Provencal Echo', that was it! You may find answers to some of your questions there. Bonne Chance.
I am done. The end.