Please sign in to post.

Provence in 2019 need some advice please

Headed to France in September 2019. We’re planning to fly into Paris and out from Nice. Spending 9 nights, 8 full days in Paris. We were there last year and we’re doubling the time we had so I have a good handle on the Paris leg of our trip.

We’ll take the TSV to Avignon. From Avignon we will have 14 days to explore and fly home on day 15. I planned 3 days in Avignon including the day we arrive so about 2.5 days. Thought this would be enough to get a taste of the city and see the things we want to see. From here is where I really need some advice. I’m going to rent a car for the first time in Europe and only the third time ever. Based on time we’ll have the car for 6 nights turning it in on day 7 and then head to Nice for 4 nights. Reading the forum I chose Saint Remy as our home base and liked the looks and location of Hotel du Soleil et Spa. Our goal for this leg of the trip is to slow down, enjoy good food, shop a little, spend a lot of time outdoors and if we learn something it would be a bonus. So on to my dilemma, I want to take a boat ride along the Calanques. I know the boat is weather dependent. My first thought was to drop the car first thing in the morning at the train station in Marseille and take the first train we can to Cassis for a night hoping the boat is a go. I liked the idea of the train to reduce the amount of driving I’d have to do and I like the looks of Cassis but I could drive to Cassis if it makes more sense. Then the next day we’d train to Nice. But I’m wondering if it makes more sense to just stay in Marseille for the night and take the boat ride to the Calanques from there then take the train to Nice. Cassis is my first choice but does it sound reasonable?

Now about the car... I need an automatic transmission. I know I need to book early. Should I book now? I planned to book an early afternoon pickup. I looked up Europcar and I can get an automatic at the train station in Avignon and drop it off in Marseille or Cassis, not all companies had a drop center in Cassis. The cost listed was around $220 for the 6 days with another $100 for navigation and premium insurance for another $200. Other companies were comparable in cost. I know I need an international drivers license and I’m pretty sure I can get that at AAA. Should I pay now or pay later for the rental? Europcar puts a $300 hold on the credit card at pick up which won’t be a problem and I’ll bring a second card too. Insurance I suppose is my biggest question. I’m thinking I’d rather pay more for piece of mind but is it overkill? I’ll take dated pictures of the car before I leave the lot. Thank you for reading this long post. Anything I missed? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Any Nice hotel recommendations would also be appreciated. I believe we’d like to be near old town.

Posted by
605 posts

Book through Autoeurope. They offer free cancellation and you can get that same automatic car from Europecar. Search the archives of this site for more info on Autoeurope as they are much loved. Can't recommend them enough.

Don't commit to 'navigation' now. Shop around. I got a tomtom with French maps for $30 on eBay. Also, many cars have gps built in. Last time I brought my tomtom and found out that the car had a gps anyway, no extra charge.

I've got a drive time matrix of the area (Provence) that I can send you to help with the planning.

Note that if you are looking at self catering apartments your options expand greatly if you rent from Saturday to Saturday. If it comes to that, I would sacrifice the short stay in Avignon to get a better house.

Joucas is adorable. Check it out while in the luberon.

Matt

Posted by
3940 posts

We rented automatics and I never booked more than a month or two out. Once from the Avignon TGV, and this year from the Nice airport. Europcar had put an 800 euro hold on our cards, but it never affected anything - it didn't even show up on the bill as being charged and deducted. And we never paid for our rental until drop off...if you rent via AutoEurope (which we did twice) they charge up front, then there are a few fees we paid to EC at the end of the rental - environmental fees, fee for renting an automatic trans, fee for picking up at the TGV/airport. But if you book direct with EC, all the fees should be included in your quote. If you are really worried about it, book 3-4 mos ahead...and with EC, you can cancel your booking,. so if something were to come up and you change dates, it shouldn't be an issue to cancel.

My only comment on a GPS rental - I know it's probably a crapshoot, but all three of our rentals in France (2012, 15 and this year, all via Europcar) - all the cars had an integrated GPS, no need for renting a separate unit. Maybe we were just lucky and others can comment their experience.

I didn't worry about separate insurance as we used our Amex to rent, and they include coverage...we did some damage on our 2nd rental (indoor parking garage with narrow corners), and Amex came thru for us and we were reimbursed.

Posted by
276 posts

Thank you Matt. I’d like to see the drive time matrix. Continuing to read and take notes on all rental info. Thank you. Definitely will check out Joucas. Just what we’re looking forward to seeing during our adventure.

Posted by
276 posts

Thank you Nicole for the rental info. This is really helping my planning and taking away some anxiety. :)

Posted by
11133 posts

We are leaving for Europe in a few days and booked our car rental( automatic for first time) a few days ago. We always book with AutoEurope, never any problems. If you are unsure about anything, call them. They are in Portland, ME.
Yes, get your IDP at any AAA. It only takes a few minutes.
Nice: I would never stay near OldTown! Touristy, crowded. I go there sometimes for a specific restaurant, ChatNoir Chat Blanc or Chez Freddy, or to buy produce at Farmers’ Market.?Look at Hotel Windsor, in a much better and nicer part of Nice.

Posted by
675 posts

An alternative to paying for a GPS is to get a data plan for an unlocked smart phone, and then risk if you get one for free (some cars do). We have a separate TomTom GPS that easily pays for itself after one trip.

In Nice, the old town can be a bit crowded and noisy, but does have the charm. There are a limited set of hotels there, mostly on the edges. At the top end, you could consider La Perouse at the edge of Old Town with magnificent views down the Bay. The Hyatt Palais de la Mediterranee in right on the Prom with great views, in the Carre d'Or. Windsor is a great choice as well, a few blocks deeper in the same district, and is more moderately priced. Furnished apartments are widely available, professionally managed and fully equipped at the high end. Look in general in the Old Town, the Carre d'Or or the few blocks around Place Massena. Make sure any hotel or apartment has AC, even in September it can be warm and you'll want to be able to close the windows. Note the new tram will be fully operational (fingers crossed) to the airport, making things much easier to get around.

Posted by
7 posts

Cassis is beautiful and the boat ride is certainly a great way to spend time there. I drove to Cassis this past summer and parking was very difficult, congested, windy roads and roads close to the harbor were closed, which made for nice walking but tricky driving. We did find a parking garage and left the car there for 3 days. It was pricey. We are going back this summer but taking the train.
Also, car rental in Avignon was a breeze. There are rental places with cars only a two minute walk at TGV station. We used Hertz and rented an automatic car there.

We stayed at the Hotel du Soleil and wanted to stay longer! The grounds an the breakfast by the pool was a joy. Have fun!