Please sign in to post.

Provence

I am looking for the most centrally located hotels in Provence. I want to be able to walk to restaurants and sights. Recommendations?

Posted by
7010 posts

Provence is a pretty big place. What cities/towns are you planning to stay in? We'll need that information to give recommendations for centrally located hotels/apts/b&bs, etc.

Posted by
4756 posts

Geographically, the Luberon area is the most centrally located part of Provence. But do you want to stay in small villages? Or do you want to stay in a city? Provence is around 350 km from West to East. I don't really think you'll be able to walk to all the sites. Perhaps you'd like to look at a map and narrow your focus.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the quick replies! I obviously know zip about the area. I would like info on the largest town in the area. I want to be able to walk to restaurants and shops. We will have a car to explore the surrounding areas. It sounds like Avignon would work best. Now I guess I can ask for suggestions.

Posted by
204 posts

we stayed in avignon for 3 weeks in 2009 in a self-catering flat inside the walls. i thought it was pretty central. we took the bus to pont du gard and nimes, train to arles, bus to aix and apt, but joined a tour to les baux and gordes. i don't think you'll go wrong in staying in avignon. btw, there was a supermarket 10 minutes from our flat.

Posted by
26829 posts

Panlag, don't forget to check parking arrangements when looking at your lodging options. The places in the most central locations are not necessarily going to be the ones that make it easiest to deal with your car.