Please sign in to post.

Provence

My wife and I will be on the Best of Eastern France tour in September 2018. The tour ends in Aix-en-Provence. It is worthwhile spending more time either there or in the area for a few days?

Regards, Bill

Posted by
3592 posts

I’m not much of a fan of Aix, but there’s a ton of good stuff nearby. A few things that come to mind are:
Arles, Nimes, the calanques, the Luberon towns, the Pont du Gard . . ..

Posted by
782 posts

There is much to see in Provence but I would stay in another town,we stayed in Arles and loved it also had a car to explore the Region for seven days.I would look at Rocks book on France or the Provence book for attractions in Provence.

Mike

Posted by
16893 posts

Check what day of the week the tour ends, in case staying longer would allow you to shop Aix's biggest market day on Saturday.

If you want to see Marseille, I'd try to keep your same hotel room in Aix and daytrip by local train to Marseille, 45 minutes each way. You can see the Calenques by boat ride from Marseille's central harbor. Or if you'd like to spend longer in the area, then you can connect at Marseille to a train to Cassis and stay at least two nights to allow a full day for hiking and swimming.

Posted by
12172 posts

I made Arles my base. I felt it was convenient, for touring the area, and had a good selection of sights/restaurants to choose from in town.

Posted by
675 posts

I think Aix is fine for a couple of days but a larger town. You might consider Arles or an even smaller village. Rent a car and then drive there and use that as a base to explore the region. There is much, much to see that likely isn't covered by your tour itinerary, from the Pont du Gard through to fantastic villages and countryside, plus on to the Sea (at Cassis).

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. I have an updated RS guidebook on France and Provence arriving tomorrow. The only challenge now is how long to leave the dog....:)

Regards, Bill