Please sign in to post.

Provence

Looking for an itinerary for maximizing our time in the Luberon. Home base will be L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Posted by
2186 posts

Length of trip? Time of year? Transportation method? We need more information in order to help.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you. This is my first time on this forum and I appreciate the advice. We will be there 9/21-9/28. We have transportation. It is a family trip. There will be 15 of us. My husband and I have stayed in the region but this is a first for many of the other travelers. I jus want to make the best choices for them.

Posted by
6905 posts

In a week you have plenty of time to explore the region! Try to balance between the cute Lubéron Hill villages to the east (Gordes, Ménerbes, Roussillon... ) and the larger towns to the west (Avignon, Saint Rémy, Arles... ) for variety. Also, pont du Gard + Orange theater are a feasible day trip if that interests your crew.

Posted by
5697 posts

And are you planning for all 15 of you to do all sights together every day ? Multiple autos ?

Posted by
4 posts

We will have 2 vans and are not committed to doing everything as a group. What about for one day- Saint Remy, Les Baux ,Maussane-les-Alpilles for olive oil ? Lunch in Saint Remy?

Posted by
6905 posts

Yes, that works. Not sure what you mean by olive oil in Maussane (I guess you know of a mill?). Oh, and with a party of this size you'll have to reserve restaurants in advance. Phone is best, French small businesses aren't too good with email somehow.

Posted by
4132 posts

Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is well positioned for Luberon, butnot in it. You can also get to Rhone Valley sights. Personally I would try to include many of those! not just the ones you mention. But that's just me; obviously you should do what pleases you best, and doing that would not "maximize" Luberon time.

I do think that with so many people plus two vans you can take advantage of the option of splitting up on some or all days. This creates the opportunity for story-sharing together at the end of the day, a vastly underrated pleasure.

Posted by
752 posts

Hi, kntrotter,

If the olive oil mill in Maussane-les-Alpilles is the Cooperative Oléicole de Vallée des Baux (Moulin Cornille), then a group of 15 could actually have a tour with tasting. If interested, email them in advance to schedule. Also keep in mind that you’re traveling a bit off-season and you should verify their hours ahead of time. They may take an extra long lunch if it’s not busy. Cooperative Oléicole

Did you visit here on your earlier trip? The is such delicious oil, very buttery flavor. I’ve used it for many years.