Please sign in to post.

Provence

I'm going back to Provence in October for 3 nights and am trying to decide what town to stay in. When I went before I stayed in Arles. I would like to find something central in the Luberon, so I can visit new towns there. I am leaning towards Lourmarin, but am open to suggestions. What town do you like and why? If you have any suggestions about lodging for me and my husband, I would love to here them. I'd like to keep it under 80€ or so if possible.

Thanks!

Posted by
1315 posts

Hi Andrea - If you're just asking about towns, I don't think you can go wrong with any. I have never heard anyone say they hated the town they stayed in in Provence. I loved Lourmarin because I loved the house we rented, I loved the walk into town to buy croissants and baguettes for breakfast, I loved the Friday market, I loved just happening upon a small band playing in a square and having lunch and enjoying the music, gorgeous day, and the people watching. I loved the day trips we took all around Provence from our Lourmarin base. I have also stayed very happily in Carpentras, Vaison la Romaine, and Arles. I would focus more on finding the right size and price accommodation and don't fret over the ideal town.

Posted by
10178 posts

Thanks Grier! Yes, I'm just trying to decide what would be the best town to base in to see the Luberon towns. I would like to minimize long drives, since we only have 2 full days (3 nights). From there we will turn in our car after a 2 week driving trip through France and take the train to Paris. I found a couple of possibilities in St. Remy that I'm also considering.

Posted by
7010 posts

I stayed in Roussillon at the Hotel Reves d'Ocres (http://www.hotel-revesdocres.com/). I loved it, it's so beautiful there. There was free parking in a small lot across from the hotel, breakfast was continental but very very good, served on an outside terrace. Management was extremely nice and helpful. The walk into center of town was uphill but I enjoyed the exercise and walking through the alleyways seeing all the colorful buildings, a photographers dream. My room at the hotel was upstairs (no elevator) and had a small terrace with a view overlooking the valley. Cost for a double in October is about €80.

It was centrally located and convenient for driving around the area - Vaison La Romaine for the market, Gordes, Isle Sur La Sorgue, Bonnieux, Carpentras, Loumarin, etc.