Please sign in to post.

Provence

Hi there
We are planning another trip to the South of France in early May next year. Last year we based ourselves in Isle sur la Sorgue for a few days, Cassis for a couple of nights and then to Nice. We had a hire car. I loved the places we visited and am sort of tempted to go back there, but feel there are so many gorgeous places to see it would be better to go elsewhere.

What I'm looking for is something the same - base ourselves somewhere in Provence around the size of Isle for a few days to tour the countryside, then go on to a seaside village like Cassis - we will more than likely end up in Nice for a night or two at the end.

Any suggestions?

Sue

Posted by
3551 posts

Base in Arles, see Les Baux, Rousillion, Avignon, etc. then stay in Antibes on coast.

Have u considered Dordogne area. Since u will have a car it is easy. To get around. The villages are beautiful and some corkscrew hilly. Ck it out for cave dwellings with prehistoric cave drawings and kayak the gentle river. Lovely area.

Posted by
30 posts

I adore Provence and have visited five times. Although, I agree - the Dordogne and Perigord regions also are fantastic.

Pont du Garde is worth a viist, too if you will be on that side of Provence, as is St. Remy de Provence. Actually St. Remy might make a better base than Arles since it is smaller and has more charm - especially if you like Isle sur la Sourge. And it's close enough to Arles to visit Arles. Orange - and its roman theater and mini Arc de Triomphe - is worth a stop, as is the Coliseum at Nimes. Arles has a great coliseum, too. Finally, the wine in the area is phenomenal. Several years ago we did a one-day wine tour with Olivier Hickman of Wine Uncovered that was fantastic (and Rick Steves recommended). We visited wineries in Rasteau, Vacqueyras and Chateauneuf du Pape, with a multi-course wine pairing lunch in Gigondas. Incredible experience and beautiful scenery in that area http://www.wine-uncovered.com

Posted by
873 posts

Just completed a trip to Provence in early May. We stayed 4 nights in Gordes and 5 nights in St. Remy de Provence. We thought those 2 places worked out beautifully and were pleased with how easy it was to go from market to market in Provence. I am sure that anyone that follows my comments is tired of me mentioning this but we invested, at our French friend’s advice, in a book called THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGES IN FRANCE. We have rented a car and driven through France twice and LOVE seeing the countryside....especially stopping at the villages mentioned in this book. There are many in this area and we loved driving, at our leisure, through these charming places to walk the cobblestone streets and eat a pastry. We spent 2 mornings in Isle sur la Sorgue so I know why you love that are so!
Hope this helps!