Please sign in to post.

Provence

We are staying in St. Remy for a week in May. We have been there before but our friends we are traveling with have not. I would like to plan day trips from St. Remy for six days. So far, I am thinking of: daytrip to Les Baux, Nimes, Orange & Chatenaux des Papes, Gordes; in the Luberon - Isle sur la Sorgue, Menerbes, Rouisslon, Lourmarin.
I am open to any ideas or will accept changes to my list if there is something better that I am missing. On our previous Trip, we were in Arles, Uzes, Pont de Gard, Rousillon, Vaison de la Romaine and the Cote de Rhône.
I look forward to anyone’s suggestions and help.
Marian

Posted by
4841 posts

Much depends on what your, and your friends, interests are in the places you are visiting. Have you asked them if there are any places they especially want to see? Perhaps somewhere you've been before like le Pont du Gard? You have likely got enough places already, unless you only want to do drive bys. I did notice that you haven't included Avignon.

And just to avoid any confusion, did you mean Chateauneuf-du-Pape?

Posted by
489 posts

might I suggest a day drive to Mont Ventoux. Stop first in Bedoin on market day (Monday, but check) The market is quite large and fun. Pick up a wonderful roasted chicken, bottle of wine, olives, and cheese and make your way to drive up to Mont Ventoux. When you get to what looks like a ski lodge turn left (or just follow the bikers) The summit of Mont Ventoux is quite unlike the rest of Provence. We drove back down to a picnic area and watched the bikers attempt to make the climb up the summit. (you can get a good knife in the market to cut the chicken, too.) This is a easy half day and very fun.
We were in Provence last June. You have many great places to see and I think I would stay in St. Remy the next trip. we stayed just outside of Roussillon last year. This year we are seeing most of central southern france. Can not wait!

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for responding! I love the suggestion of a picnic at Mont Ventoux Summit. My husband is a cyclist who loves the Tour de France so this sounds like fun!

Posted by
2916 posts

Some good additions here, but I would counsel against going to the Fontaine de Vaucluse. I thought it was a total tourist trap.

Posted by
10 posts

I stayed in Isle sur la Sorgue and loved it! We took day trips to Rousillon and Bonnieux were also beautiful and I'd go back there again. Gordes and Les Baux are nice also. I liked these villages better than Avignon and I'd skip Nice next time.
Enjoy! Clare

Posted by
752 posts

St Rémy is a wonderful base for the inland sights of Provence, and your friends are fortunate to have you as guides.

Would your friends enjoy a day close to the Mediterranean if the weather is good? Perhaps a day in Cassis and a Calanques boat tour or walk? If you're planning to have a car, the drive is about 1 1/2 hours or so from St Rémy, using the autoroute.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for all the great information! I am still fine tuning our day trips from St. Remy.

Posted by
4132 posts

I also enjoyed Fontaine de Vaucluse, though it has a touristy vibe to it. The water and the Resistance Museum are the real deal, though.

There are some very nice walks and hikes in the Luberon.

If you are foodies, there is real bouillabaisse, the real thing, in Marseilles. Best reserve a table early, though, and expect to spend several hours and a wad of dough for lunch.

Marseilles can be combined with Aix, a charming though not consequential town.

Posted by
1819 posts

We are planning one day trip ( probably a rather long one) to the Ardeche Gorge and the Chauvet Cave replica which is supposed to be outstanding. The actual cave (only open for select archeologists) is 30,000 years old.

Posted by
703 posts

sounds like you are covering most of the spots. if you are near gordes, consider visiting the village of the bories, for something different. if you like van gogh you can visit saint paul asylum, on the outskirts of st remy.
hope this helps.