Please sign in to post.

Provence 2025

Bon jour!
I’ve lived in Paris many years ago, as well as southern Spain. I’ve travelled quite a bit as well.

My best friend just had a fantastic experience in a villa in Paradou with her family, with days trips around the area.

Now I’m interested in my own family experience in the Provence area (4 adults and 5 yo). As I begin to plan, I’m looking for a wide range of suggestions:

• Time of year
  • Town to stay, either village and city
  • Type of accommodations, villa or house
  • Transportation
  • Tours

Merci beaucoup!

Posted by
251 posts

Just spent the month of March in Provence. I think your questions, to me, are way too vague? How long do you plan to stay? Big city or small, rural area or mix? How old are folks and with 5 people and luggage, how often are you traveling to need a car? Are you all going to be joined at the hip and do absolutely everything together? The 5 yr old activities? Foodies or history? I think you need to ask yourselves some more basic questions.

Posted by
6713 posts

Here's what our host has to say about Provence, including ideas about what to see, when to go, etc. I haven't been to Paradou but it's very well located for sightseeing in all directions. There are many other choices also. You should plan on driving while there, especially if you're going to base in a smaller town for an extended period. This forum works best with specific questions, after travelers have made general plans based on guidebooks and other research, but before they've made major non-recoverable investments in particular choices they're not sure about. As an experienced traveler I'm sure you realize that.

Posted by
2 posts

thanks Dick - this is helpful. I’m brand new to this forum.
and thanks too Janet - I’m just starting to explore the possibilities around time and place.
Rick’s travel guide information on southern France seems spot on.

Posted by
1111 posts

sophie0109,
Not an answer to any of your questions, but do check the rules in France about car seats or booster seats for children in France. I don't know if they go by age or weight there, but in general the French are very particular about such things. Five years old seems to be on the cusp here in the states. If you rent a car, be sure to have a seat included if necessary. Just my deux centimes!

Posted by
1111 posts

sophie0109,
Regarding lodging, we like the website Gites-de-France for finding neat places to stay, whether a chambre d'hote, bed and breakfast, apartment or house. When you decide where you want to be, check them out for your ledging.

Posted by
480 posts

Our group had a wonderful month Aug/Sept 2022 in the town next to Paradou, Maussanes-les-Alpilles. The house we rented was within walking distance of town (2 blocks). This appears to be the current listing. https://www.redsavannah.com/europe/france/provence/villas/mas-lila The house is even more beautiful than the photos. Two living rooms. Open kitchen/dining. A separate room with full USA size washer/dryer and full USA size refrigerator/freezer. Pool. Very private yard around the pool and outdoor dining area. Four bedrooms. Four bathrooms. The one pair of bedrooms works great for parents with a couple of kids as they open to each other but still each bedroom has its own bath. We had different friends and family with us different weeks as many as 8 adults and it was all wonderful. If that is bigger than you need there are others similar in the area. We loved the town. We went to Paradou too. But Paradou is mostly residential. MLA is just as pretty but has shops (cheese, wine, fruit/veg, meat, fish, full grocery) and quite a few cafes and restaurants. And a Thursday market. We had a couple of cars for our group for day trips in the area but always just ate dinner at home or walked to restaurant. Here is a link to Maussanes-les-Alpilles tourist information. https://maussane.com/en/ Be sure to check out MLA and other towns nearby event calendars. There are wonderful little festivals. MLA had during our stay the Aioli Festival (Aug 15) and Le Temps Retrouve (translates something like like "Good Old Days") for a weekend at the end of August. Here's a blog I had found with some photos. https://curiousprovence.com/le-temps-retrouve-heritage-festival-in-les-alpilles/ It is a great location. We did different day trips and if you stayed there a year I don't think you would run out of fun things for all ages. Enjoy the planning!

Posted by
480 posts

If you would like more inspiration I enjoyed these films set in similar towns not far. But Maussane was very much like them.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3013588/ My Summer in Provence "Jean Reno stars in the 2014 family comedy-drama (also known as Avis de mistral) as Paul, a grumpy grandfather who takes in three Parisian teenagers while their mother is away"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401445/ A Good Year "A British investment broker inherits his uncle's chateau and vineyard in Provence, where he spent much of his childhood. He discovers a new laid-back lifestyle as he tries to renovate the estate to be sold."