Please sign in to post.

Provence, 2016

2 weeks in Provence in 2016. Wife & I arrive & depart Geneva Airport. Rent car & drive to Villefranche-sur-Mer then work our way back North to Chamenix & then home. More interested in meeting indigenous people, small towns & country side than big cities. Considering these factors: a) crowds of tourists, b) temperate weather, & c) natural beauty at its zenith; which 2 weeks would be the best travel dates? Chamenix will be cold & is it worth crowds & hot weather to see & smell the lavender? Also, what is the quickest but scenic route from Geneva to Villefranche without backtracking as we head back to Geneva? Thanks

Posted by
5678 posts

Well if you want to see the Lavender you need to go between the last week of June and the first week of August. I would avoid August in Provence if anything that Peter Mayle has written is even remotely true. : ) I can't help with the routing. I just did the highway between Provence and Annecy and Chamonix. Chamonix is wonderful. If you are fit do try to do the balcony walk. It is spectacular. Well, even if you are not fit, it can be worth it, but you pay the next day--speaking from painful experience.

Pam

Posted by
5678 posts

Well if you want to see the Lavender you need to go between the last week of June and the first week of August. I would avoid August in Provence if anything that Peter Mayle has written is even remotely true. : ) I can't help with the routing. I just did the highway between Provence and Annecy and Chamonix. Chamonix is wonderful. If you are fit do try to do the balcony walk. It is spectacular. Well, even if you are not fit, it can be worth it, but you pay the next day--speaking from painful experience.

Pam

Posted by
2130 posts

Hi Art, agree with Pam regarding Chamonix. We were there May 31-June 1 this year and loved it. The temperature was about 65 degrees in the town and 30 degrees on the top of the Aiguille du Midi. Not really cold at all (I wore a fleece and sweatshirt). Also did the rack railroad to Montenvers, and walked down to the ice cave carved out of a glacier. Great views. Great photos. Not crowded at all. We stayed at the L'Arve Hotel.

Provence was much warmer (90's). Didn't see any lavender that early in the season, but it was a fun trip.