Please sign in to post.

Provence

We are doing 2 weeks in Provence and the Riviera by car taking Rick's suggestions and guidance to plan our trip. We will be there early to mid October. We've started in Cassis ( 2 nights ), Arles ( 2 nights ) Avignon ( 2 nights0 . Any thoughts as to how many nights to stay in the Vaison- la-Romaine area because of so many things to do and see ? We will be traveling to Nice for 4 nights after that before leaving the country. Would anyone recommend more time at any of the towns I just mentioned ? Thanks !!

Posted by
1013 posts

As it stands, you have four nights open? Am I interpreting that right?

I loved, loved Vaison-la-Romaine and would suggest two nights minimum. It’s a decent base too, so add on from there depending on what you want to see. I would also try as hard as I can to be there for their market day. It’s amazing, and takes over almost every street in the new town (you’ll need to be very careful about parking in relation to this too, check with hotel.)

Avignon is my least favorite city in all of my European experience and I would tell anyone to not stay there (you could skip visiting it too as far as I’m concerned.) With a car, there are better options nearby. St. Remy is a popular base, or maybe Uzes or L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.

Posted by
7258 posts

I would not split my time between Arles and Avignon, they are so close to each other that you can easily have dinner in Avignon and sleep in Arles. I would combine the Arles & Avignon nights into a single 4-night stay in Arles.

As for Vaison: 3 nights is nice, and you won't be bored with 4 nights either.

Posted by
179 posts

I agree with Balso. We stayed near Gordes and went to Arles as a day trip. It was a lovely drive. We passed some sunflower fields on the way. We stayed in Arles until midafternoon and were back in time to relax by the pool and then have dinner. I wouldn’t spend the extra time changing lodging between Arles and Avignon. You will get a good taste of the Riviera with 4 nights there. We flew into Nice, but stayed in Villefrenche-sur-mer for 3 nights. You will have a lovely trip.

Posted by
834 posts

I also agree with Balso that you don't need to change bases so often. We saw Arles and Avignon (and the Pont du Gard, Uzes, Orange, the Luberon towns, Les Baux, etc) from our 6 night base in St-Rémy-de-Provence. We did not get to Vaison-la-Romaine, but I've heard good things about it.

We only had 3 nights in Nice, and would have loved the extra night. You will enjoy it.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to everyone for their guidance ! We're going to be changing things up a bit since reading your comments. One more question, if you have a minute. Any places between Nice and Vaison -la -Romaine worth venturing off to and/or Side trips along the way that were particularly memorable or places that you wish you had more time for ?
Thank you, everyone !!

Posted by
251 posts

I just spent a month in Provence in March 2024, a week each in Aix and Arles and then 2 in Avignon. S, F, 70+, solo and public transpo only. I reviewed all the places I wanted to go and which of my 3 cities that town was easy to get to. Spent about 22 days traveling out from there. I would highly recommend you check out top sights in Arles and Avignon and Vaison to determine how you might to plan your time.

Posted by
7258 posts

From Vaison to Nice, if you do not mind mountain roads, you can cut across to the east towards the route Napoléon. The route would take you through Montbrun les Bains (nice village), Château Arnoux, Castellane, Grasse. Beautiful views along many parts of it, driving time approx 5 to 5.5 hours.

More ambitiously, you could drive via Moustiers and the north rim of the Verdon Gorge. The route would take you from Vaison to Montbrun les Bains, Manosque, Valensole, Moustiers Sainte Marie (worth a stop), then along the D952 to Castellane with various view points on the Verdon Gorge (Point Sublime is the best), and back on the previous route. I would allow all day.

If you would rather stick to the faster roads, consider stopping in Saint Maximin La Sainte Baume to visit the Basilica there. Humble outside, grandiose inside.