Please sign in to post.

Protests in France

I have watched news about protests in France and the border between France and Spain. How is this affecting travel in the area? Is it safe? We have a June tour of Basque country coming up and we are planning a couple days in Paris. What can we expect?
Thank you for any information on the subject.

Posted by
1819 posts

These were farmers' protest demonstrations like there have been across Europe in recent weeks, with highway blockades.
There was one last Thursday at the French-Spanish border. Nothing dangerous.

It's over and this has no impact on other roads.

Posted by
5266 posts

Unless you're a Spanish wine producer who isn't too pleased about having your wine seized and poured down the drain by French farmers then you needn't have any concerns.

Posted by
1819 posts

The blockages and demonstrations impact everyone who travels on the highways, not just Spanish wine producers.
It could be worse in June or completely over.

And just to clarify that summarizing the demonstrations to an import wine issue is to misunderstand the situation.
The farmers' protests are about much bigger issues than that.

There have been major protests all over Europe for weeks in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Poland, etc.

Posted by
32788 posts

I thought I saw some gilet jeaunes on the TV the other night. Are they back again? Or maybe a an old vest out of the cupboard?

Posted by
13952 posts

I'll just add to listen to your "new friends" here on the forum. If you have any family or friends who are not travelers telling you there is a problem, smile, nod and ignore their comments.

Posted by
5266 posts

And just to clarify that summarizing the demonstrations to an import wine issue is to misunderstand the situation.

My comment was tongue in cheek!

Posted by
10199 posts

I was wondering where that one came from: the tongue in the cheek, eh.