Please sign in to post.

Private tours Paris

Has anyone had experience with private tours of Paris? Would you recommend doing this?

Posted by
1994 posts

While you certainly can do it on your own with a guide book or a recorded tour, I have found that quality day tours so enhance my travel experience. I always schedule at least one or two in the city. I find nothing substitutes for learning from an expert and being able to ask questions.

I have used Context Paris the number of times, and always had great experiences. I have not booked them for a private tour, although I know they do it. I booked their group tours, which are limited to six people, and are led by an expert with relevant academic training. Most recently, I took their tour of the Italian Renaissance collection at the Louvre, and the tour was led by an art historian whose day job is as a collection manager in that museum. There were only three of us in the group, and he tailored to tour to our interests.

Posted by
1174 posts

Check out www.greeters.paris. For a donation of around 20 Euro you will get a Parisian who lives and works in your area of interest. The greeter/guide will not accept any money and it's a donation only in advance. I highly recommend it.

Posted by
32198 posts

Linda,

I've taken a few tours of Paris with local guides, as part of a larger France tour. I find that I tend to learn far more about the history with an expert guide than if I toured the same locations on my own. However a good guidebook will also allow you to see the sights on your own, and still learn something about the history.

If you want to try a guide (and your budget will allow), I'd highly recommend THIS Paris guide. He's extremely knowledgeable and quite entertaining as well.

Posted by
13 posts

Linda,

My wife and I will be in Paris in mid August and have booked a tour with Secrets of Paris. We have been to Paris before and wanted a different prospective other than the great museums and they seemed to fit the bill. They are very accommodating to requests and we are looking forward to experiencing some different sights. If anyone has experience with Secrets of Paris I would appreciate some feed back.

Posted by
1174 posts

Another vote for Parisgreeters. Always done by a local resident and we've used them several times. You can check it out extensively on tripadvisor.com and see the reviews.