Please sign in to post.

Private car service

I am looking for a reliable, reasonable car service from CDG to LeHavre. I know we can take a train, but we have a very long flight with a few plane changes. We will be on a cruise the next day. Any suggestions.

Posted by
3691 posts

You do realize that you are looking at paying hundreds of euros for this, right? My guess is that, at a minimum, this trip will cost 300€. I’d love to hear otherwise if you find a company. Try contacting Shuttle Inter (shuttle-inter.com) to see if they will do it.

Posted by
784 posts

I would check with your cruise company to see if they can make a recommendation as they surely deal with this from time to time. Reliable is the key word and car services from CDG aren't known for reliability. Someone else on this forum might have a specific recommendation.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you, I know it's going to be expensive, but from the long time between trains and 60 euro to get to the train station, the cost of the train, then a taxi to the hotel I'm not sure with all my research it will cost that much more. I will keep researching, just hoping someone has used a car before.
The cruise line is not being helpful at all with getting us there. They don't provide transportation to the ship because it is so far away. Things you learn!

Posted by
3691 posts

Shuttle Inter is very reliable. I use them quite often but only for trips to Paris from the Airport so I don't know if they will go to Le Havre.

Posted by
8293 posts

Would it be possible to sleep overnight at CDG or in Paris and then take the train to Le Havre in the morning? The cruise ships don't want you boarding too early anyway. I am surprised that your cruise line is not offering transfers from Paris to Le Havre. There must be a number of passengers for that particular cruise arriving in Paris and needing to get to Le Havre. Are you certain this is not available?

Posted by
20081 posts

The taxi from the airport to St Lazare station is a 50 EUR fixed price. 2 2nd class tickets from St Lazare to Le Havre is 78.80 EUR, local taxi not more than 20 EUR. So 150 EUR is your base price.

Posted by
703 posts

We used Inter Service Prestige for two trips to Paris. They picked us up at the airport and took us right to our hotel. So easy and only 50 Euros.

Posted by
10188 posts

Have you checked your roll call on cruise critic (cruisecritic.com) to see if others have the same issue, have organized a driver and are looking for others to share the cost, or would be interested in sharing a driver with you if you organize one? My guess also is that it would be between 300-500€.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all. I have called the cruise line and the answer was no, we do not provide transportation. It's MSC by the way, they do on other cruises where the airport isn't so far away.

I will look again in the train, I certainly did not come up with those prices. I must be looking in the wrong place.
We get in at 8AM and was told to plan 4 hours to get thru the airport and to the train in the city. Does that sound correct?

Posted by
3691 posts

I just did a dummy booking for the 12:48 train from Gare St Lazare to Le Havre and saw non-refundable and nonexchangeable second class tickets for 17€ per person and semi-flexible first class for 36€ per person. If the SNCF site does not work for you, try trainline.eu. You could possibly do this trip for around 100€ as compared to the at least 300€ that a private ride will cost. Of course, you will not arrive in Le Havre until around 3 PM when you would probably get there by 11 AM if you took the car service. So, tradeoffs.

Posted by
9 posts

I'm still confused with the train. I'm think I have this correct, please help me if I don't;
TGV is the fast train? It's $232. and takes 6 hours with 2 connections.
Then there's another train, SNCF and it cost $36. saying it's about 2 1/2 hours???? I can't tell if there are connections with that or when we would arrive.

And you were right with the car service. Even if I search shuttle, they are not shuttling anyone else so instead of a van it's a private car for about $500!!!!!

Posted by
9 posts

It does tell me when I arrive, and it looks like there are no train changes. I'm so afraid to book a ticket, when there is such a gap in price. I'm afraid I'm missing something. Because I arrive on a Monday morning, I'm thinking it will be probably pretty busy.

Posted by
27104 posts

SNCF is the company that runs the trains, including the TGV.

What is your travel date? We can take a look on the SNCF website. Is that the one you're using?

Posted by
9 posts

The two sites I have looked at today are raileurope, which AAA recommended. That one seems to be just the high speed, TGV train. The other site is trainline.com limited which is giving me a great price of $36.

I am arriving on October 8 at 8AM.

Posted by
9 posts

I might be on to something. Loco2 is giving me the same price and no change of trains. Thank you!

Posted by
27104 posts

Do not do not do not use RailEurope. It often does not list all the options, omitting the less expensive ones, and there can be a substantial service charge. Trainline.eu is often recommended here; I don't know whether trainline.com is the same company. Loco2 should be fine, as is SNCF (of course).

If your AAA office is recommending RailEurope, I would hesitate to trust any of its other recommendations (sorry, Rick).

Posted by
32740 posts

slightly piling on here, sorry. Don't, do Not use Raileurope until you are absolutely positively sure that it will be best for you. I have over the years here seen one or two people say that it was the best for them, in their circumstances. There is a very small chance that in your case it may be best for you. It is extremely unlikely, but it is possible.

Posted by
3691 posts

Use SNCF.com/en and if your credit cards do not work or if you just want to not have to worry about whther the card ill work (some US credit card users report problems with SNCF), purchase the tickets from trainline.eu. As others have said, avoid RailEurope. AAA gave you bad advice.