Please sign in to post.

Printing train tickets

I have booked trains from Lyon to Chominox and another from Chominox to Paris with several legs on each. My question is whether a different separate ticket is needed for each leg. My wife says no but I have concerns that it may be the case. Can someone clear this up for me?

Posted by
2545 posts

Is there not a destination printed on the first ticket of your journey? That should clearly tell you if you need more than the first leg ticket.

Posted by
8889 posts

No separate tickets required. If it says Chamonix to Paris on the ticket, it is valid from Chamonix to Paris however many trains it takes.

I found this example on the internet: http://last48hours.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/billet-de-train.jpg
It is a ticket from Nantes to Aix-en-Provence, involving two trains, Nantes to Lyon and Lyon to Aix-en-Provence.
The second train has a reserved seat (coach No. 08, seat No. 95). The first train has no seat reserved.

Have you got your tickets? Are they being posted to you, or are they "pick up at the station"?

Posted by
8 posts

I bought some tickets online and printed at home. These do identify each leg of the trip. Yesterday I accidentally booked a train for which tickets can can only picked up at the station. Now I can’t change the delivery to an email “print at home” method. I will be in Paris a week before using any of these tickets so I guess I will sort it out then.

Posted by
473 posts

This is a good reason to use the SNCF app or Trainline app and you don’t need to worry about having a printed ticket. They just scan your phone or at least look at it. Much more convenient.

Posted by
11294 posts

In addition to picking up your ticket at a station, you can also pick it up an an SNCF Boutique. These are like "train ticket stores"; you take a number like at a bakery, sit in semi-air conditioning until your number is posted, then sit at a desk and conduct your business. Much nicer than standing in line at a station, and potentially more convenient, as an SNCF Boutique is most likely closer to your hotel than a train station is. If you bring the print out of your ticket purchase as well as your credit card, it will take them about 30 seconds to get your tickets (once it's your turn at the desk, of course).