Please sign in to post.

Pont Du Gard

We will be staying in Avignon and will have a car for only 2 days in early September. Unfortunately , I see that the illumination show ends the week before we arrive. With only 2 days we are limited in what we can see. Is visiting this site worth the time and if so how much time should be allotted? Thank you

Posted by
3941 posts

We've gone twice - the first time was with a day tour and we were there about 45 min. The second time was last year when we went on our own. We got there late, so the info center was closed. We spent maybe 1h15m total - and that was walking up a rather steep path on the far side to the top.

As for whether it's worth your time, I guess it depends on what else you'd like to do and where it would fall on the priority list. Our first time in Avignon we had 2 nights (we arrived late so the first part of arriving day was shot thanks to a huge rainstorm in Nice and delayed trains) - so on our full day we did the Pope's Palace in the morning (which I would say skip - expensive and pretty empty inside) and took an afternoon tour that included PdG, Nimes and Uzes.

PdG is open rather late (I think it was open until 10pm when we went and that was early Oct!), so you could go after supper before it gets too dark. We enjoyed the visit enough our first time we went back for seconds (but we also had 4 nights and a car and stopped while we were coming from Carcassonne and heading to our airbnb in Salon).

Posted by
1288 posts

I agree with Nicole. 2 hours is more than enough to see Pont du Gard (and you may need less). We hiked and walked all around it and felt we had plenty of time. We then went to Les Beaux and spent several hours there. I think it is worth the time, but we are not shoppers so touring little village after little village can get old fast for us. We visited in September and the weather was wonderful.

Posted by
8049 posts

It was so long ago that we visited the Pont du Gard that any knowledge we have of logistics is out of date, but the site is fabulous. We were there when you could easily walk across on top or through the water course and we had a hotel room that literally looked out on the bridge. I could see it in the moonlight from my bed all night.

I am not a fan of illumination 'shows' and haven't seen one at this location but the sight of the bridge itself is quite something. I think it is not to be missed and if possible to walk across definitely do that as well. One of the more memorable sights of southern France.

Posted by
552 posts

I took a local bus from Nimes, where I was staying, and spent a couple hours there. Lots of cool photo ops. Loved it!

Posted by
552 posts

Jane, I'd be interested in the name and location of your hotel.

Posted by
8049 posts

The hotel we used was Le Vieux Moulin and our room literally had a huge window that looked out to the Pont du Gard and the terrace for breakfast also had this great view. It was the best hotel room we ever had. It was long ago when we were there however and I believe the hotel is no longer operating.

Posted by
7027 posts

I spent about 2 hours there, walking over and down the other side, even went wading in the water. Tons of photo ops from all sides and so interesting to finally see in person after reading and learning about it for years. I would definitely say it's worth it and it's easily done as a loop visiting Ezes and Nimes. That's a good day trip especially if you're interested in ancient sites.

Posted by
841 posts

I would not miss the Pont du Gard. It is an amazing site. We spent 4-5 hours there, going through the museum slowly and then viewing the Pont from both sides of the river.

Posted by
671 posts

Pont du Gard is a must, in our opinion. My husband spent more time in the information center than I did, but we both enjoyed walking over, up the hills, along the river to see the aqueduct from all sides. It was a very hot day when we were there, but that did not deter our interest or enthusiasm. I think we were there about 2 hours, but might have stayed longer if time allowed for us.

Posted by
2261 posts

We also arrived late, after the visitor center, etc had closed. It was great, we spent a couple of hours walking all around, taking photos, and just hanging out, with perhaps fifteen other people around. We left at dusk with three cars left in the lot.