Please sign in to post.

Pont du Gard

We are planning to visit Pont du Gard in September. Looking for any tips or recommendations from those who have visited. Rough plan is to purchase items for picnic lunch prior to leaving Avignon and spend the afternoon there. How much time would recommend to enjoy the Pont du Gard experience? May also look at doing a hike there as well.

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
847 posts

We also took a picnic with us and I think spent about 2-3 hours. It's about 15 min or so walk each way from the parking lot. Be sure to walk a ways both down stream and up stream for different view of it. Upsteam was much less crowded. The 'far' side (across the bridge from the side you park on) was better. I think there might be a parking lot on that side as well, but Im talking about the huge parking lot with visitor center, museum, etc. In 2-3 hours we had time to walk in both directions, short swim, lunch.

Posted by
2545 posts

After Pont du Gard, be sure to continue on and visit Uzès. In fact, I might visit Pont du Gard early and enjoy lunch in Uzès.

Posted by
763 posts

You might also want to build in time to visit the museum there. It gives a good idea of how the aqueduct was constructed.

Posted by
4094 posts

There are several short walking trails on both sides of the river giving you great views of the bridge from various angles. There is also a very good museum that we were only able to spend 1 hour in but easily could have spent 2.

Posted by
3961 posts

Fond memories of visiting Pont du Gard. It was a gorgeous September day. Great idea to bring a picnic lunch, hike and take a dip in the water. In addition take advantage of the great museum. We spent about 3+ hours at this magnificent marvel. For us it was a special side trip from Arles. Enjoy!

Posted by
161 posts

We were there 2 years ago and spent 2-3 hours there. It's always a good idea to bring a picnic lunch, but we did lunch at the cafe there and it was fine. Very much worth an afternoon. The museum was worth it; nicely done.

I second the idea of stopping in Uzes. We spent almost a week there because we have family in Uzes. It's a lovely town. Market days are Saturday and Wednesday, so go on market days if you like markets or go other days if you'd like a more serene atmosphere.