Please sign in to post.
Posted by
3836 posts

Thank you. Our Paris trip was a no go last year so this pushes the reboot up our list.

Posted by
7354 posts

Timely maintenance and repairs beat waiting for structural emergencies before doing the work. Just a tad ironic, though ... for how long has the museum been effectively closed as of now, and for how long into the near future?

Posted by
203 posts

I’m really hoping we can make it to Paris in the summer of 2022, Covid-willing. Pompidou is high on my list of places I want to go. Fingers crossed.

Posted by
10188 posts

When the Pompidou was built, it was planned as a twenty-year structure to be replaced. But plans changed because it was so well liked. Undoubtedly, almost a year is needed to safely removed all objects and the library to storage and the same amount of time to move everything back into the structure, accounting for the three years.

This is a blow to the hundreds of students and scholars who use the research library daily, the film and music lovers who frequent the cinémathèque and concert hall, as well as museum visitors.

Posted by
1336 posts

I had no idea that it was built to serve as a temporary structure. it seems like such an integral part of Paris. I personally love it and there has not been one trip to Paris where I haven't at least sat by the Stravinsky fountain.

Posted by
13934 posts

I hate those escalators - glad they are working on them first! Yikes! Not a pleasant experience for anyone with a fear of heights.

Posted by
11156 posts

Those outdoor elevators have kept me from ever returning! What a nightmare they are to use.

Posted by
2456 posts

I wonder if there will be temporary exhibition spaces elsewhere in the city to show off parts of the collection or theatre programs to make up for the missed cinema showings, as often happens when this kind of project occurs. If so, it could be an opportunity.
(Which is what we call problems in the art business.)

Posted by
10188 posts

The works on display will be on loan at other Musée National across the country. Others in storage.