Please sign in to post.

Platforms closed for Line 4 Metro at Chatelet, Paris, from Nov 27 2017 through March 7, 2018

In looking for the information about the elevators at Abbesses and Lamarck-Caulaincourt, I came across this information that will be of interest for travelers to Paris: the platforms of the metro line 4 at the Chatelet station will be closed beginning next Monday through March 7, 2018.

What does this mean? You will not be able transfer to or from a line 4 train at Chatelet station (nor will you be able to catch a line 4 train there or descend from one). Line 4 trains will continue to go through the station, but without stopping.

You can go to catch the line 4 at Cité station (600 meters away) or Les Halles (450 meters away).

If you're on the 4 and need to transfer to RER A, RER B, or RER D, the website advises you to change at Les Halles.

Basically this means no easy changes from the 1 Line (east-west) to the 4 line (north-south) for the period of the construction.

https://www.ratp.fr/en/node/7028

Posted by
7209 posts

Even better reason to avoid Chatelet metro stop. I've been through that stop to change lines while dragging my luggage...I sure learned my lesson the hard way. I avoid Chatelet at all costs.

Posted by
20103 posts

But the No 4 line has its own station at Les Halles, so transfers to the RER A, B, D are very easy. If you are standing in the Les Halles Metro 4 station, you can look down the tunnel and see the Chatelet platform. A short distance for a train, a long circuitous walk for a human.

Posted by
9583 posts

Yes, of course, Sam. There's no reason anyway to transfer at Châtelet if you're on the 4 to go to RER A, B, or D (or vice versa).

Posted by
1175 posts

So if we board line 4 at Cite and want to go to the Christmas market at La Defense next month, we need to change to RER A or line 1 at Les Halles? How long does it take to transfer at Les Halles with no luggage and which is the best to take, RER or Metro? Any advice most welcome.

Posted by
20103 posts

One thing about the RER A to La Defense, it costs more. It is outside the 1.90 EUR Paris price zone. If you take the No 1 Metro, it is considered inside the central zone, so you can get there on a single t+ ticket. You might want to walk over the bridge and get on the No 1 directly at Hotel de Ville or Chatelet.